Winter of 2009-2010 Could Be Worst in 25 Years

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Jan 4, 2010.

1. http://www.accuweather.com/news-wea...eler=0&date=2010-01-04_1701&month=1&year=2010

Nearly the entire eastern half of the United States is enduring bitterly cold temperatures not experienced since 1985. Even Florida, which has been hovering around freezing levels overnight recently, is also feeling the almost-nationwide chill.

"It'll be like the great winters of the '60s and '70s," said AccuWeather.com Chief Meteorologist and Expert Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi.

The last time a large swath of severely low temperatures struck the nation was in January 1985. That historic arctic outbreak had below-zero temperatures Fahrenheit stretching from Chicago eastward to New York City, and all the way south to Macon, Ga.

While Bastardi says the upcoming days will bring cold not seen since 1985 or 1982, he believes this winter is shaping up much that of like 1977-78. That winter, nearly all of the United States east of the Rockies had a cold October followed by a warm November, with the cold returning in December.

What is most interesting in this case is what followed, where the months from January through March can all be classified as very cold, relative to normal.

"If it stays this cold for this long, will the groundhog even want to come out on Feb. 2?" wonders Senior Vice President and Chief Meteorologist Elliot Abrams.

Okay all you global warming cultists. It is time to "hide the decline".

Here is a nice little quote I would like to share.

Truer words have not been spoken my friend.

2. Sure, we're heating up the planet. If we weren't, we'd be in another baby ice age right now. Hell, it looks like we need to add another 50 ppm of co2. I'm doing my part.

3. [​IMG]

Here is temp data from the last 420,000 years. This chart clearly shows a spike up in temp over the last 10,000 years. The interesting thing to note is that these spikes in temp have occured 3 other times during the last 420,000. The brief spikes in temp are followed by rapid cooling periods. This would indicate a precidence for a rapid cooling period to come our way. Hopefully these MMGW folks are correct and we can pump enough CO2 into the atmosphere to prevent it, or at least slow it.

4. I'm currently eating as much meat as I can, farting and burping as often as possible while driving my big black SUV with premium gas.

It ain't working, it's still colder than shit here, -10.

5. Nothing quite so warms my cocoa as a quorum of ET's resident scientists denying climate change. Who could possibly compete with that kind of horsepower? Certainly not the overwhelming majority of the planet's remaining scientists.

6. 9 posts a day keeps the sanity away?

7. Perhaps I should consider acid, which is evidently the supplement of choice for climate change deniers. I hear it absorbs 47 times its own weight in excess reality.

8. Gabfly with another one of his bonehead responses. I just posted a chart showing how the Earth's climate has changed over the last 420,000 years. How is that denying climate change? I, along with the other posters, are simply questioning the MMGW hoax. In fact, my posts suggests I hope MMGW has some truth to it to prevent or slow a coming ice age. If the pattern from the last 420,000 years continues, then we are in for another ice age. There is simply no way you can look at that chart and come to any other conclusion. Gabfly, what does that chart tell you? If you were not brainwashed by the MMGW hoaxsters would you reach the same conclusion.

My analysis on the subject is pretty easy. Look at the long term norms and apply them to the present and project them into the future. All else being equal, the long term norm should hold. Of course if the planet happens to get blasted by comet or a super-volcano erupts, that will have an impact. For my analysis there is no behind the scene magic going on to prove a point. There is no adjusting raw data, then discarding the raw data so nobody knows what adjustments were made and why. There is no "hiding the decline". There is certainly no wizardry which would suggest that I know how to control the Earth's climate.

BTW, I have noticed that you use the term "climate change" instead of global warming. This is a term that is becoming more frequently used by MMGW hoaxsters as a way to hedge their bet. They are not convinced the Earth is going to melt down in the next 5 years and they want something to fall back on if the Earth actually cools somewhat. They will say "I never believed in global warming, I believe in climate change". The Earth's climate is always in a state of flux so the global warming folks have a 50% chance of being right based on dumb luck.

9. And yet you miss the point entirely.

10. Which is, it's colder than shit.

#10     Jan 5, 2010