WinstonTJ, backup power question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taclander, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Just curious what you recommend for back power. I have 2 computers I use for trading. Both are I-7 Intel Windows machines. 7 monitors a Linksys router and Time Warner/RoadRunner modem. Speakers on both, but I would think the main concern would be tha tmain monitors, computers, router and modem. APC site comes up with a $500 solution, but curious what you would recommend?

I think this is a good topic for everyone. I am having problems of late with power. Maybe due to temperature extremes compared to past years or I don't know what.
    Thanks

2. I like APC a lot but I'm partial, I have had good luck with them and I have a family member who works there.

It's exactly as you say. Plug in one main monitor per computer, your router & modem and hope for the best. The goal of a battery backup is to allow you enough time to either flip on a generator or to do a safe and orderly shut down.

I'm a bit spoiled. My office used to be a small prop trading firm so there is tons of power (I have 200A) and the generator fails over in about 45 seconds and puts out just about 12.5 kW. My batteries only need to last ~2 minutes, I aim for three min.

3. Sorry for the late thanks, but Thank you for your input.