Wine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JayS, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Wine Spectator.
    https://w1.buysub.com/pubs/M5/WNE/W...lsid=60862110193014363&vid=1&cds_mag_code=WNE

The few issues I have been given or actually sprung for have been worth the time to pursue whilst smokin a $10 stogie and swirling a dry red.

No really - buy a few issues from the book store and judge for yourself. The last issue I have ( Jan/Feb 06) was very enlightening! In that it included a rather large listing of wines that are best to drink NOW - later or KEEP for a spell! Also their ratings and blah, blahhha, blah. (I had a suspicion some wines weren't meant to be kept around!)

Okay - when to keep vs. when to 'enjoy NOW?
    IMHO-
    Your ratings and 'optimum time for consumption' is best judged by YOU man. and even then, your pallet that particular tasting may be altered by the chit in the snack dish you have been snarfelling on prior to pealing the foil back.

So unless ratings are as equal to - well TOILET water- you just won't know if the $7 bottle or $56 bottle will get you the enjoyment and the BJ you were hoping for.

Taste is quite an INDIVIDUAL ting.
    Yet rest assured, I refuse to entertain finding toilet water for any purpose than well making bladder space for more of the good stuff.

We are quite happy we decided to delve into the yucky athletic sock tasting of dry wines. The trip to Sonoma Co. was a great way to get into the swirl of things and learn a wine we both enjoyed. ( um, make that just about all dry reds)
    Funny how that yucky athletic sock taste perception was sooo off from reality now that we know wines complexities.
    I guess cheeses could be as complex an adventure.
    Oh well another time - have fun & good luck.

P.S Do "Oenophiles" spit or swallow? I'm sure my wife would like to know!?

#21     Mar 27, 2006
  2. Chilean wine is a very good compromise, especially for reds wines. Cheap and good quality. Argentina is catching up, but it's still not as good.

Check out Carménère, wonderful stuff-only produced in Chile (they have the right climate for that type of grape). Combine it with red meat. When I lived in Chile, you could find some very decent carmenere for 2US$/bottle. Coming back to Europe, I could fine the EXACT same bottles sold ten times the price...

Trust me try Carmenere at least once in your life, it's an interesting experience.

Avoid French wine, still overrated for the moment. The industry is in crisis and hopefully in a few years time the standards are going to rise, and prices are going to be more reasonable.

The irony is that all the wine professionals in France are going to South America, South Africa, Australia or the US to find some work : that increases the quality of these wines and the increasing competition in turn is killling French wine producers. But the crisis was necessary, prices were getting way too high.

#22     Mar 27, 2006
  3. I think all Moderators should be fired by Baron. Resinate is too left wing. Pabst is too right wing. Why was Riskarb banned? Who moved my thread to Chit Chat and why? Zzzz is a troll! Hapaboy is a troll! My diaper rash is annoying me! Its all Bush's fault (when its not Cheneys)! Close down the Jornals thread, I just can't be bothered reading it anymore! Chaosnx lied to ET! Samson and Steve46 are shouting again!

Oops sorry, wrong thread. I thought "Wine" was an invitation.

#23     Mar 28, 2006
  4. maxpi

maxpi

Red wine and chocolate have something in them that give me horrible headaches. That part of my life is gone, unless I am going in for an operation where they are going to put me out for awhile. If I time it just right I can be over the headache by the time I come out of the anesthesized state. I'm still waiting to be diagnosed with something terminal so I can go have a custom chopper built, until then the reward/risk just does not work for me.

#24     Mar 28, 2006
  5. TGregg

TGregg

I can't believe you left me out, geez. Must be time to abuse some more users. ;)

#26     Mar 28, 2006