Windows XP

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by yabz, Mar 17, 2004.

1. yabz

yabz

I upgraded to XP yesterday , and my advice to anyone thinking of doing so is: don't:mad:

I had to buy a new modem because the old one was incompatible with XP, my PC works slower, there are no discernable advantages.

Unless you want to do a lot of work with multimedia, the best operating system is probably Windows Me.

2. Ebo

Ebo

Buy a new machine with XP and you will see that you are wrong.

3. yabz

yabz

I upgraded my hardware only a few month ago. Got a new motherboard, new hard disk, the lot. I pretty well have a new machine.

4. gnome

gnome

If you didn't do a "fresh" install of XP (rather than an upgrade of Me), try that.

Most of us would suggest against ever doing an OS "upgrade". And, if you took a poll I'd bet a dollar to a donut that Me would win the title of "Absolute WORST OS", hands down.

5. Just to give you some background, I had an old Dell Dimension computer that had a Pentium 3 at 750 Mghz and 512 mb of RAM.

I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP-Pro and had no problems whatsoever.

6. pspr

pspr

Yes, format the HD and do a full install. XP is a much better OS than Win ME but it does require a bit more RAM to operate properly.

7. WIN ME?? PAAAAAAAAALEEEEEEEESE. WIN ME STINKS.
    How many times we have to tell you before you get it..
    You DO NOT upgrade..
    You CLEAN INSTALL.
    What don't you understand?
    x-x
    <

8. Windows Me - Malfunction Edition

9. I have two 450 meghz computers with windows 98 os. Would someone tell me why I would need to upgrade?

10. gnome

gnome

Most of us trader types find we need to upgrade when we run into problems with either (a) W98's poor handling of "resources" and multi-tasking, or (b) some trading related software we want to use requires it.

If you *needed* to upgrade now, it would be obvious.

#10     Mar 18, 2004