Windows XP Services - which ones to disable?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mmm, Apr 23, 2004.

1. mmm

mmm

Michael,

Could you pose screenshots of the Services Control Panel applet, showing which services you have running or disabled?

That would be very helpful.

Thanks.

-- MMM

#11     Apr 23, 2004
  2. mmm

mmm

I have a laptop, so my memory expansion options are limited. I'm trying to reduce the memory footprint as well as speed up my machine.

Thanks for your reply.

--- MMM

#12     Apr 23, 2004
  3. mmm

mmm

No need to keep Kleenex handy for me. I create images of my C: drive regularly (via Norton Ghost or Drive Image) to save me from catastrophic software changes.

-- MMM

#13     Apr 23, 2004
  4. Sure, I got to download a free capture program that does not have a big logo. When I crashed my computer doing this service thing...I never re-installed hypersnap...:):):) lol

Does anybody know of a freebie with no logo?

Michael B.

P.S. Do you want the pro or home version?

P.S.S. the cost for this is to share with me the other services I can make manuel or disable...thanks

#14     Apr 23, 2004
  5. mmm

mmm

Michael,

The Services applet has a export list function (Action Menu | Export List), so you can just post the text file that it generates.

The Pro version please.

If I get any other performance enhancements, I will pass them along to you via this message thread.

Here's one suggestions for you: I read in the Qcharts user group that one user was able to reduce the occurrences of 100% cpu utilization by changing Processor Scheduling to Background services, and memory usage to System Cache. I use these settings currently -- I can't say it's been noticeably better, but it certainly hasn't been worse.

Thanks for your help.

-- MMM

#15     Apr 23, 2004
  6. start by putting services in manual mode - if needed they will be started by other processes just not by default

some to start with
    server service - can be disabled if you do not want to share folders/printers - plus adds security to inbound connections

task scheduler

computer browser - disable and connect to other pcs by ip

dhcp client - disable and use static internal ips if you can

dns client - need for browsing internet

fast user switching - if you dont use it

iisadmin

indexing

print spooler - turn on when necassary

telephony

#16     Apr 23, 2004
  7. mmm

mmm

Thanks FXTrading for the info.

-- MMM

#17     Apr 23, 2004
  8. DblArrow

DblArrow

MWSnap

http://www.mirekw.com/

Free, very nice screen capture. Don't know if you can edit on the new, could not on the old.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#18     Apr 23, 2004
  9. #19     Apr 23, 2004
  10. BVM88

BVM88

#20     Apr 23, 2004