Windows XP Pro Genuine Verification

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Trend Fader, Dec 14, 2005.

1. I dont know .... I used to think this in 2000. In 2005 (actually about 2003) things have changed. .... The LAMP stack is pretty fast for development - as is java if you are so inclined.

I would say its a wash unless you include license and admin costs and in that case the advantage is in the Linux LAMP camp.

#21     Dec 15, 2005
  2. Does this mean if someone is using Fox, this problem goes away because Fox doens't have such option.

Out of curiosity, I checked my IE (I don't really use it) and I don't see Windows Genuine Advantage in Manage add-on list either.

#22     Dec 16, 2005
  3. I'm pretty sure you can't do the Microsoft windows update without using IE as the browser.

#23     Dec 16, 2005
  4. prt,

Somewhat true.
    In fact AT NO TIME did windoz ever come even near to UNIX, later Linux as an OS. As you pointed out around 2000, maybe a little before that, may people got driven away from UNIX because of the very high cost of hardware/software. Guys like Sun have really been very stupid. Having no vision whatsoever of future opporetunities, Sun kept on reaping easy profits from way overpriced hardware. They had everything going for them if they would have concentrated on PC level priced equipment.
    Later, they got nervous from seeing windoz's success on cheap boxies and tried frantically to come up with some kind of windows/office emulating software that never really caught on on their expensive hardware. This failure kind of motivated them to come up with their Java mess. Later they added OpenOffice which is at least a positive note. Hasn't made them any richer in the meantime and possibly never will.

nononsense

#24     Dec 16, 2005
  5. Yes. I agree with all of this. In addition $soft did similar things. There is one thing that you cant erase ffrom peoples memory : past behaviour. All of the talk about "partnering" and "cooperation" can basically be disregarded and we can see them as they are: pricing vultures. .... but .. how dumb can you be to raise prices and squeeze customers when there is a superior alternative ? Very large organizations cant turn the boat around easily and these vendors know that ... on the other hand even mid-size busineses (1000 employees or less) can change things fairly quickly. ......

#25     Dec 16, 2005
  6. Oh yeah, I might add that I have been working with UNIX and C/C++ programming since 1978....... that would be about 27 years .... and Windows/$soft OS level programming from about 1991 - about 15 years.

#26     Dec 16, 2005

7. Must have SP2 installed for WGA to show in IE.

st

#27     Dec 16, 2005
  8. Maybe because I use a different update setting. I have it something like "notify me but do not auto install". So everytime I got a message says "update ready for download". The updating process does not involve any browsing. I do have IE indtalled.

#28     Dec 16, 2005