Windows XP Pro Genuine Verification

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Trend Fader, Dec 14, 2005.

1. This problem/issue is a typical example of all the baggage (and cost) that comes along with managing a windows infrastructure: there are many things coded / included in the software components realted to licensing. The cost of managing all these issues and the realted compliance is large realtive to the direct cost of the licenses. This was bad in the 2000 timeframe and with XP/2003/Vista its worse - and thus much more expensive.

Our simple response to all of this was Linux and $soft was shown the door.

#11     Dec 15, 2005
  2. Out of curiosity, what type of XP is it? Retail, OEM, volume, pirate?

#12     Dec 15, 2005
  3. Ever notice how the Linux folks are always trying so hard to convince everyone how great everything is over on their side of the fence? There is a desperate feel to it, like they are trying to validate their decision to themselves and the only way to do that is to make you believe that your decision is wrong.

Let me guess, when you switch to Linux you are allocated 72 virgins each?

Its just an OS, simmer down now.

#13     Dec 15, 2005
  4. Hey when you've experienced something that good... you just want to share the experience. Not to mention IT DOESN'T COST A RED CENT. :p! Neither do the 10,000+ available packages.

I'll never go back.
    kTm'r

#14     Dec 15, 2005
  5. You got it all wrong dude. Simply being altruistic and share a sound idea.

As you brought this up, about your 72 virgins thing: thought your silly irrelevant hang-up needed a little correction.
    Don't turn things upside down. Who got whom hooked to what?
    Linux guys are free to go where they want.
    You are not. You are emotionally and financially attached to your fundamentalist soft master-guru.

#15     Dec 15, 2005
  6. Like I said, Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Amazing that you know so much about me and my attachments. Psychic abilities must be one of the many features that Linux bestows upon its users.

#16     Dec 15, 2005
  7. How can ya possibly defend M$oft? You really couldn't, if you'd experienced alternatives.

#17     Dec 15, 2005
  8. :confused: Please quote the part where I defended them.

This thread is classic, someone asks a specific Windows question and the linux groupies can't help but throw their two cents in. We get it - you love Linux, its better than Windows and anyone that doesnt agree with you is stupid, blind, ignorant, (insert insult here). Now can you let it go?

#18     Dec 15, 2005
  9. You didn't get that impression from me.

I guess we just don't understand why people want to stick with paying for something that's far from being superior. Hence, we feel the motivation to spread the word. :)

#19     Dec 15, 2005
  10. alanm

alanm

My Windows boxes work well, and I spend far less time on administration, installation, and development than I did in 15+ years of working with UNIX. The cost of legitimate copies of Windows and Office is trivial for the functionality they provide for anyone that values their time.

I don't know what the WGA thing is about. I have legitimate OEM and retail Windows XP and 2K installs and have no problem with updates.

#20     Dec 15, 2005