Windows XP on Mac,Its official now.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by forrest, Apr 5, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro

Out of the box business? In case you are wondering, AAPL is not a software company but a hardware company. DELL is not even close to being a hardware company in the same league as HPQ and AAPL. All DELL does is take existing components, sticks a DELL label on it, puts them together and resells them at extremely low prices - kinda like WMT. It is a good trick because all they are selling is a service to those that don't know any better. AAPL and HPQ manufacture their own hardware to their own specs and are true hardware companies, although everyone outsources the actual components these days.

I see a future though where there is going to be a surprise hardware maker, and few guess who it will be.

nitro

#41     Apr 8, 2006
  2. nitro

nitro

Oh man. Like I said, keep writing memos and reading books like "Clusters for Managers" because you don't know what you are talking about.

I have no problems with all the rest of the crap that you claim because it means nothing to me. But when you say that "most geeks wouldn't be seen anywhere near a mac" that was when the line was drawn because you are not even wrong.

nitro

#42     Apr 8, 2006
  3. 1000

Forgive me if I am also ignorant and far from wrong, but what does, Vista being a 64 bit processor system, mean, if anything?

Is Mac a 32 bit? Will there be incompatabilities? Is the Mac life limited to the Vista release?

#43     Apr 8, 2006
  4. nitro

nitro

1) 64-bit support is not new to Vista - it is supported by several MSFT OSs now.

2) There are many macs. There are the new INTC based macs, and then there are the G4s and the G5s (I am not going further back than that.) The new mac INTC based machines are 32-bits. The G4s are 32 bits. All machines that are G5 based are 64 bits. Mac OS X is a 64-bit OS. To anyone using a desktop today for what 99.999999% of all users use computers for, 64-bit is meaningless. That may not be true tomorrow, but when that matters all modern machines and all OS makers are well ready for 64 bits.

nitro

#44     Apr 8, 2006
  5. Hope someone can comment on this. I read through the thread and near the top, there was this
    I am not at all sure what these 'great features of the Mac OSX' are. Here is the only comment I saw that would describe them, at least, the only one that I could understand (I am not sure what *nix is).
    Can anyone link me to or provide a 'top 5' list of the features that make OSX so great, both for a home user and for an enterprise application? All I know is that in the recording studio, Mac is the platform of choice, and it used to be that way for high-end graphics apps (Silicon Graphics?).

Hope this isn't too off topic - I think it impacts upon the decision for long time Windoze users to switch to Mac, especially for traders who are not part of a corporation.

#45     Apr 8, 2006
  6. 1000

#46     Apr 8, 2006
  7. Cool, then we've achieved parity then because that's exactly how I felt about your comments! :)

#47     Apr 8, 2006
  8. forrest

forrest

Bmw gave up....Japanese automakers win hmm?

#48     Apr 9, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

10. Banjo

Banjo

Ah, a harbinger of the near future, multiple os's running in tandem.

#50     Apr 14, 2006