Windows XP: Home or Pro?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Simtrader, Jun 2, 2003.

1. TGregg

TGregg

Nope.

XP Pro is XP Home plus a few things (Remote Access, VPN, file encryption, better backup & restore, multiproc (I think) and IIS). Most likely, you do not need the additional features. Your best bet is to figure it out yourself:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

#41     Jul 11, 2003
  2. FinStat

FinStat

xp home will work just fine.

#42     Jul 11, 2003
  3. sunnie

sunnie

One of the selling points (for me) of xp pro over home was the fact the XP pro license could be used on 2 machines...at least that is what I was told when I purchased the software (BTO computer, so I have the XP pro disk) and the cert of authenticity indicates "1 - 2 cpu"...although I have yet to install the second copy...the other two laptops have xp home and there is no need to change anything at the moment....

#43     Jul 12, 2003
  4. TGregg

TGregg

I think you will find this does not work. XP Pro works on multiprocessor machines (with two CPUs) but this does not mean that you have a license to use it on two different computers.

However, licensing at MS is more art than science it seems, so you just might have a special case. But I doubt it.

You'll find out for sure though, when you go to register your second machine. If I am wrong, you'll be able to register a second machine with the same key.

#44     Jul 12, 2003
  5. i'mlong

i'mlong

Is it difficult to upgrade from XP home to XP pro?

#45     Jul 12, 2003
  6. TGregg

TGregg

Should be a piece of cake. Never done it though.

#46     Jul 12, 2003
  7. sunnie - TGregg is correct. XP Pro does NOT give you the right to use it on multiple computers. What it does is let you use it on computers with multiple CPUs, where as XP Home can be used on those computers, but it would only use 1 CPU.

Another note regarding the multiple CPU stuff - Though the new Intel CPUs with Hyper Threading show up as 2 CPUs, you do NOT need XP Pro to take advantage of them. As far as licensing goes, Windows counts 1 Pentium CPU with HT turned on to be 1 CPU.

#47     Jul 12, 2003
  8. sunnie

sunnie

Funny,,, you mean to tell me the CompUSA salespeople told me that just to make a sale??? Oh, well, you learn something new everyday.....

am really happy with XP pro (over xp home), though, and would gladly spend the $200 for another copy, if I needed to....:) :)

#48     Jul 12, 2003
  9. No. the more likely reason was that the sales person was clueless, but didn't want to admit it to a customer, so they winged it.

#49     Jul 12, 2003