Windows XP: Home or Pro?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Simtrader, Jun 2, 2003.

1. My back-up is an older laptop with Windows 98 and a P3.

I increased the RAM to 256 mb. It made a huge difference. It works great now.

I would recommend doing that.

#31     Jun 4, 2003
  2. 168

Lhclin

thank you

#32     Jun 4, 2003
  3. TRADEQQQ

TRADEQQQ

4. 168

good point

thanks

#34     Jun 4, 2003
  5. Backup your ME first as a precaution and do a clean install of XP. If something gets messed up in the future, at least you won't have to wonder if it's not some inherited ME glitch. .

And make sure that whatever your processor is, you have at least 512 mb of RAM (put in 768 or more and you'll be a happy camper). XP is OK and very stable; but it's a RAM hog. RAM is cheap.

Elvis

#35     Jun 4, 2003
  6. I've heard of traders running three, four or more computers all at once for trading. They have each computer loaded with Windows XP and Microsoft Office. If they actually bought separate legal licences for each computer it could be very expensive. Most traders are smart enough to find ways of having to avoid buying separate licences for each computer. However Microsoft has a lot of smarter people working for them and eventually they'll make it impossible to bypass the licencing requirements. What will the traders do at that point? Will they have to pay up or could they possibly start running Linux on all of their machines?

#36     Jun 4, 2003
  7. TGregg

TGregg

Have fun trying to cheat the XP registration code. You'll work your butt off, and probably to no avail. But hey, if you can't spare what? $250 then WTF.

Why do you need to run XP Office on 4 boxes? Just run it on one, I say. Unless Outlook is your trading interface or something. Or Excel. Or Word, or whatever.

In retrospect, it's tough to believe that I responded to this post - perhaps I am too happy with my trading today (more likely, I am plain too happy from drinking too much vino).

#37     Jun 4, 2003
  8. xp pro: a couple steps towards 2000

xp home: a step upgrade from millenium

In other words, xp home is not a choice of mine

#38     Jul 8, 2003
  9. spieler

spieler

using 2000 pro on my trading machine ( 4 monitors)
    200/100% a good choice very very stable and the only operation system garanted 100% compatible with my appian graphic card.

My laptop with 2000 pro was stolen i had to buy a new one in a hurry it was a XP home edition one crash a day on average

definitly not for me

#39     Jul 11, 2003
  10. Bought a new machine the other day with XP Pro and immediately had problems with esignal. Have been using 2000 pro for awhile now with zero problems so took it back and got a refund and upgraded my old box. XP is probably fine but that was my experience.

#40     Jul 11, 2003