Windows XP: Home or Pro?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Simtrader, Jun 2, 2003.

1. With Windows ME I had at least 2 crashes a day, usually more. With XP Home, crashes are rare and it's usually due to some dumb thing I did.

I run Tradestation 7 as my trading platform.

DS

#11     Jun 2, 2003
  2. Kermit

Kermit

Windows XP Pro here, and liking it.

Kermit

#12     Jun 2, 2003
  3. Ebo

Ebo

No problem ever with WIN XP home.

#13     Jun 2, 2003
  4. i use home but have been told by REDI-tech that Pro will work much better...
    what i find interesting is the pricing structure.... XPpro (aside from upgrade) is 299. or you can buy a new motherboard with xp pr installed, 2 ghz processor, 256k, 60 gigs, etc... (most liekly more thaqn what most have now) for $4-500

#14     Jun 2, 2003
  5. the REDI tech does not know what he is talking about. As far as how programs function on XP Pro and XP Home, they are identical. The only difference is that Home is some features restricted.

#15     Jun 2, 2003
  6. a5519

a5519

The main features that Pro has and Home hasn't are:
    - on Pro you can run Internet Server
    - Pro has extended remote control functions: from the office you can work with your home computer (provided it's switched on and on the network).

If you want to run e-Busines (sell trading systems or make stock picking) take Pro. If you want to trade with IB from your office using your home computer, take Pro. Stability, performance, security are the same.

#16     Jun 3, 2003
  7. Do you mean if you want to trade with IB from home office, take HOME ???

#17     Jun 3, 2003
  8. No, he means that if you want to run IB TWS on your home computer and remotely control the home computer from work using the built in feature in Windows XP, you have to get the XP Pro version. I have not actually managed to get the remote control stuff to work because of firewall issues with the protocols Microsoft uses. I use PCAnywhere for remote control, which works on any Windows OS

#18     Jun 3, 2003
  9. lhclin

lhclin TickQuest

XP Home does not support Windows domain.

It matters only if you ever intend to access
    a large network, probably through VPN.

Something to consider if you or someone
    at your household has a job with a
    large corporation and intend to telecommute.

Louis

#19     Jun 3, 2003
  10. TGregg

TGregg

That's a fine example of commission driven cyberbable.

#20     Jun 3, 2003