Windows XP Clock Losing Time

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by flipflopper, Sep 11, 2009.

1. #11     Sep 11, 2009
  2. It is not windows ;) Seriously - the timers are not done in software but in hardware. There is a clock on the motherboard ;)

COULD be the CMOS battery not strong enough (but not weak enough to loose the time outright).

Not more to suggest.

#12     Sep 11, 2009
  3. The CMOS battery only comes into play when the computer is turned off.

My computer loses time when the machine is on.

#13     Sep 11, 2009
  4. Then replace the motherboard. Try a separate windows install first, but at the end, the clock is in hardware.

#14     Sep 11, 2009
  5. jprad

jprad

Older PC's used to rely on the BIOS clock exclusively, and they were about as accurate as an analog car clock was.

Late model motherboards typically have a separate clock chip that's used while the OS is running, the BIOS clock is only updated when you change the time, either manually or automatically, or when you shutdown the system.

You most likely have a flaky RTC chip and should be able to get it repaired without too much trouble/cost if it's a branded manufacturer.

Otherwise, look out for a weekend computer fair and get a replacement motherboard.

#15     Sep 11, 2009
  6. Could also be the quartz crystal oscillator resonance frequency has drifted, although, I would assume the RTC should also sync up to small drifts.
    Or there is often a pre-scalar that can be set in the RTC IC to recalibrate to the frequency drift, if you know how to set it.
    If you have access to an oscilloscope, you can verify each frequency (xtal, and RTC output), to determine if that is the cause. Then recalibrate to offset the drift.

#16     Sep 11, 2009
  7. jprad

jprad

Older PC's used crystals, PLL's are standard fare today, much cheaper.

#17     Sep 11, 2009
  8. I see you haven't built many PLLs:D
    A PLL must have a crystal as a reference somewhere down the line.

#18     Sep 11, 2009
  9. I just spoke to ASUS technical support (I have Rampage Formula motherboard) and they said the battery is used even when the pc is turned on!!

So it's probably a bad battery. Thanks the suggestions from everyone.

#19     Sep 11, 2009
  10. Guess I'll have to find out if Gateway is the same...cuz my laptop does the exact same thing. Stays about 1min late all the time no matter how many times I reset/resynch etc.

#20     Sep 11, 2009