Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by goodfellow, Mar 6, 2007.

1. My main system is 64 bit as well and I agree. ROCK SOLID. I've been running it since Jan. of 06 without a single hiccup.

#21     Mar 8, 2007
  2. Ezzy

Ezzy

Prof,

No need to wait for your charting program to be compatable. By disabling the UAC, 90% of all Vista problems go away. And for more minor issues setting some older programs to run in XP mode will work. The UAC interferes with so many things, especially trading programs. Maybe there will be a patch in the future to selectively exclude certain programs from it.

Check here to disable the UAC: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86946&perpage=6&pagenumber=3

I disagree with Vista being more efficient, depends on how you see it. I have a dual core processor and 2 GB ram. Since Vista runs more stuff with the CPU to free up RAM, the system works fine until you max the CPU and it locks up. I was able to do that without too much trouble, running the same programs didn't do that on my XP machine which had a much slower processor. I doubt most people would have the problem I did, but it did make me wary of potential problems, running too many programs, etc.

Regards,

EZ

#22     Mar 8, 2007
  3. hcour

hcour Guest

If I use something like Partition Magic to create a new partition on my C: drive and install Vista so I then have a dual-boot w/XP, will I be able to copy files like text and image files from one partition to another, that is, from XP to Vista? Or would I have to be in XP, copy files to a flash drive or dvd, then boot into Vista and copy them into Vista from there?

Thanks,
    Harold

#23     Mar 8, 2007
  4. Yeah right... thats why business is tripping over itself to upgrade... not

#24     Mar 8, 2007

5. why?? MS has developed a powerful security mechanism in Vista: transparent windows. virus and hackers pass right through them without even seeing them. the users stay safe.

#25     Mar 8, 2007
  6. lol

#26     Mar 8, 2007
  7. Ex1

Ex1

u won't need to copy from one to the other as the drives will operate in both...
    probably like in WinXP you will have something like C: and D: with C being your XP and then in Vista you will have C: and D: with C being Vista this time...

#27     Mar 8, 2007
  8. hcour

hcour Guest

Ok, thanks. One other question about a dual-boot setup. I have a D drive w/all my Acronis backups on it. Using the setup I mention (2 partitions on the C drive) will Vista alter that D drive in any way?

Thanks,
    H

#28     Mar 8, 2007
  9. Neet

Neet

Prof,

Glad to here, same experience here.

#29     Mar 8, 2007
  10. Ex1

Ex1

it shouldn't but if you are worried just disconnect the drive during install then re attach it afterwards - I have 4 HDD with 10 Partitions and not one of them have been altered by Vista (except of course the Vista Partition)

#30     Mar 9, 2007