Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by goodfellow, Mar 6, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

Seems like the only real "need" for Vista is the one Microsoft has for its purse.

#11     Mar 6, 2007
  2. I asked about 64 bit vs. 32 and if we should wait for 64 bit. 64 or 32 bit has nothing to do with Microsoft.

#12     Mar 6, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

If XP 64 bit was a clue, probably should wait.

#13     Mar 6, 2007
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Keep in mind that most major corporations are not allowing employees to upgrade to Vista, IE7, Office 2007. There are significant compatiability issues, as well as the potential exposure level to threats is unknown.

Let me also state that within days of Vista coming out, the hacker community has been targeting it. I expect that we will see some security notices very shortly regarding Vista.

#14     Mar 6, 2007
  5. Ex1

Ex1

i have used it before as a test and if you wish to run eSignal make sure you run as administrator as it will cause you grief

#15     Mar 7, 2007
  6. Me too but I stuck with Win2k as long as I could to.

John

#16     Mar 8, 2007
  7. 1. Incompatibility Issues - Only if you are running older hardware but you check online if your system is compatible.

2. Slower Operating System - Incorrect. Vista makes better use of the better processors making them more efficient. It will effectively run and use 4 gig of Ram and more.
    3. Bugs - All new software has some bugs but that is what updates are for.

I've been running Vista as a Beta Test on a test system for a few months and absolutely love it. I'm just waiting on my charting software to get compatible (a couple weeks) and I'm switching over. To each their own though. Some people will never use the processing power. Of course some people are still using P2's and 512 of memory.

#17     Mar 8, 2007
  8. Have a new lap top with Vista. There are some cool new gadgets which are interesting. Are they anything I can't live without? Hell NO.

In addition half the stuff you need to access regularly is in a new location so it pisses you off looking for things.

My recommendation for everyone is to stick with XP.

#18     Mar 8, 2007
  9. Neet

Neet

Gnome,

I use Win XP 64-bit, aside from a few hard to find 64-bit drivers, it's rock solid and fast.

Also utilizes my 4GB of RAM intelligently contrary to its 32-bit cousins.

#19     Mar 8, 2007
  10. mokwit

mokwit

Vista just seems to be cosmetics and multimedia upgrade.

Any views on the driver hell of XP64 running on a box with two 64 bit Itanium processors and WAY more than 4MB of ram as my dedicated PC for Radarscreen, but then again TS/Globalserver have their own internal bottlenecks whatever the processor power.

#20     Mar 8, 2007