windows vista ... yes or no

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by fearless9, Sep 7, 2007.

1. "A program is attempting to format drive C: "

"Cancel or Allow?"

Allow.

Best choice I ever took. ByeBye Vista, viva las XP!!!

The networking in vista is just horrible, it kept on making my connections unstable, going into local only [eventhough my friend sitting next to me with XP plugged into the same network was browsing without any troubles] ... after I got rid of Vista, problem is gone...

The whole "cancel or allow" or "continue" deal is just anoying!!

I might give it another shot once service pack 2 is out... till then, Im happy with XP ....

the only thing I miss are the windows games :'(

#31     Oct 20, 2007
  2. if you go with vista, plan on having severe trading losses due to pc crashing when you need it.

#32     Oct 20, 2007
  3. Use vista ultimate myself.
    Run Interactive brokers tradestation and MBtrading Navigator.
    Works perfectly, never crashed the last 4 months.
    *touches wood*

#33     Oct 20, 2007
  4. i have been using vista premium for about a month now with ib and qcharts. no problems at all. at first i had to get a new video card for multimonitors because its not compatibale with the matrox 450 that i had. once i got that corrected it runs flawless.

#34     Oct 20, 2007
  5. #35     Oct 20, 2007
  6. Get the XP pro disc. Even if you didn't need it it's worth the few bucks to have. I'm going to format (3rd time going back) and go back to xp as vista is still a big buggy for me and some trading software spazzes out on it.

#36     Oct 20, 2007
  7. I just got a Quad processor and, of course struggled with this new Vista restriction. Specifically it's a Gateway GT5636E to which I added another 2gb RAM for a total of 4gb RAM with the Quad processor. I run it with pagefile size set to zero (no pagefile) so everything's forced into ram, by the way.

Here's the display adapter solution. Install XP device drivers for your graphics display. This forces Vista to use the XDDM device driver model and thus enables "legacy" heterogeneous drivers/adapters just as in XP.

In my case, I had a Quad Appian Rushmore old hardware card I wanted to use on my new Vista computer. Well, the best I am currently able to do is to use the display adapter that came in my computer (under XDDM XP device drivers), and get Vista also to use TWO additional displays using Radeon device drivers with my Appian card.

So, at least I have 3 displays. Was shooting for 4 or 5, but will be happy to have 3 at this time. At least I don't have to buy a new hardware graphics board right now.

So, every driver has to be the old XP driver, thus forcing "old legacy" XDDM device driver model and Vista will then allow you to use heterogeneous adapters, although perhaps not as fully as you might have done in XP.

I love my new Quad processor. Yes, I could delete Vista and go back to XP Pro. However, I'll stay with Vista at this time, with most of the bells and whistles switched off.

Hope this helps someone out. :)

#37     Oct 20, 2007
  8. Uhm,.... why?

#38     Oct 20, 2007
  9. I have a quad core dell running vista ultimate 64 with 4 gigs of ram. Run esignal, ninjatrader, mbtrading, etc. with 2 monitors. Runs great, really no issues at all.

Vista definitely takes a little getting used to but it has been rock solid for me.

#39     Oct 20, 2007
  10. If you want to see your new quad core sing then download a copy of TinyXP v06 off the net. Install it and then install the latest drivers for your rig.

Its not ms licenced but I take the view that as long as you have enough XP licences around that you aren't exceeding the number you are morally doing right by Bill.

It will boot faster than anything you've seen and run like a rocket.

#40     Oct 20, 2007