Windows Vista question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AKHENATON, Apr 8, 2008.

1. #11     Apr 9, 2008
  2. I think the comparison with the 98->XP migration is unjust. XP did add very essential additions to the OS that 98 didn't have. XP (or actually the 2000 kernel) was the first real OS by M$ that was worth the name and could be compared to real secure OS's like Unix's. 98 was a glorified DOS, XP was true interuptdriven process table with separated userspace.

There is nothing substantial to differentiate Vista from XP. The only thing added to the core is a way to control media-related drivers so they comply with DRM, so that the user can be prohibited from playing stuff he stopped paying for. That is the reason these drivers stopped working and will not work for another year. With XP these drivers were fixed quietly and quickly, that will not happen now, because DRM compliance can only be accomplished by special new hardware, which the user is unwilling to buy.

I do not understand for what benefit anyone would upgrade to Vista, no one has been able to point out a single advantage.

Ursa..

#12     Apr 9, 2008
  3. Well, when I count in my own neighbourhood is for every remaing Vista is see 3 ppl that migrated back to XP after the delivered system had Vista on it. I also know a lot of ppl that will not buy a system that has only Vista on it. And I know quite a number that are inspecting a Kubuntu Linux installation, that is far easier to install and looks a lot better than Vista (and of course runs a LOT faster).

#13     Apr 9, 2008
  4. It is true that Vista is annoying as hell to use though.

always double confirming what you are trying to do. i hate when a OS tries to babysit me

#14     Apr 9, 2008
  5. i totally agree with you on all points. The problem is that most newer computers from the major manufacturers (HP, dell, etc) that come bundled with vista cannot be used with XP because they dont provide the XP drivers on their website. So you cant roll back to XP even if you want to.

And by sales figures, i meant from major stores like best buy etc.

#15     Apr 9, 2008
  6. That would quickly resolve the issue: should I buy this one?

With a No.

There are still plenty of XP friendly choices out there. And Microsoft, recognizing that Vista is the mid decade reincarnation of Millennium is working really hard to create a good Windows 7.

#16     Apr 9, 2008
  7. I read that vista has build in something like a giant spy that control all our transactions, communication and all we do. So the government is able to watch and control any think we do.

#17     Apr 9, 2008
  8. i have no idea what vista does nor do i care. i don't use vista, i use applications for my printer, cable modem, wifi, esata, sata hdd, sata dvdrw, floppy, ethernet nic, dual monitors, external flash drives, digital cameras, x38, ddr2. i'll stpo with just the hardware. no lockups, no crashes, no problems.

it would have been a waste of otherwise valuable time to switch
    to vista except around the holidays. i did, and i have no particular
    reason to revert to xp.

about DRM hey, what the heck do i care about that.

#18     Apr 9, 2008
  9. One day you will, and then it might be too late.
    The freedom you have now, to just buy a computer and do with it whatever you want, is not in the perceived best interest of the companies like M$. They want you locked in and shackled.
    The measures taken in Vista to establish DRM go far beyond what anyone could imagine only a few years ago. The problems are yet to come, but are not imaginable by most.

#19     Apr 9, 2008
  10. opt789

opt789

#20     Apr 9, 2008