Windows Vista Beta 2 - Mini Review & Impressions by JMowery, Enjoy

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by JMowery1987, Jul 14, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

Maya 7 did install fine. Does run much slower than when on Windows XP.

If you have very fast hardware (which if you have Maya and use Maya on a daily basis) you probably do, it might perform better.

But installed fine and started up fine.

#11     Jul 15, 2006
  2. 256 MB is probably going to be a good estimate.
    128 MB probably bare minimum.

256 MB graphics cards are very very cheap now though.

#12     Jul 15, 2006
  3. What does solitare look like? :)

#13     Jul 15, 2006
  4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty cool, I might put some time into the chess game for sure, and minesweeper has gotten a bit of an upgrade. All the games you can scale to different sizes and they will adjust to stay smooth looking.

Mahjong I also like as well, simple games, but well done. The games do lag a tad bit though, I'm going to assume now that it is my computer having problems running Windows Vista. Just isn't powerful enough probably to handle it.

Games also have a SAVE feature.

#14     Jul 15, 2006
  5. Pretty cool... so bottom line is you need the latest processer and maxed out ram to run vista smooth I guess. BTW, longhorn was a cooler name for the OS.

#15     Jul 15, 2006
  6. I think The Nittany Lion would have been a cooler name for this Windows :p

Right now that is the way it seems, although not MAXED out, but a very good system. My system is coming up on being around 2 years old.

2 gigs of ram, at least a 2 ghz processor, 256 MB graphics card, I think should run the Final version of Vista alright. (Hopefully, otherwise big problems)

If not, then I don't see how Vista is going to sell, so I just hope they optimize the hell out of Vista soon. Just way too slow. I could fire up a cd-based version of Linux and be running faster and have more capabilities/or at least just as many as Vista right now.

If Vista does bomb, hopefully it will open up a window (ironic) for Linux and MacOS to improve even more. I know if Vista is overpriced, that Linux might be getting a good chunk of new users which would be nice. I wish the financial community was more Linux friendly, but all the popular order execution software's run on Windows.

#16     Jul 15, 2006
  7. cmaxb

cmaxb

I think a good compromise is XP x64. It is not so bleeding edge as Vista, yet it is an updated XP. I am very happy with my installation. You have to choose your hardware carefully, for compatibility reasons.

#17     Jul 15, 2006
  8. hcour

hcour Guest

Me too. Right now I'm very satisfied w/XP. I haven't had a crash in ages, it's definitely the most stable Windows I've ever used. Using a few free (or very cheap) programs, I no longer have problems w/spyware, viruses, or popups. I have multiple backups in case disaster ever does strike. And there are all kinds of cool free themes and wallpapers out there so I never get bored w/the look of my desktop. (Same w/the free themes for Mozilla Firefox.) After all the hassles I had w/the previous versions of Windows, XP SP2 seems stable, fast, and looks cool. I ain't changing to Vista until I'm absolutely sure they've got it right.

Harold

#18     Jul 15, 2006
  9. why would anyone want to use vista anyway? who cares about the eye candy?

#19     Jul 15, 2006
  10. hcour

hcour Guest