Windows time sync with CME

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by RoughTrader, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I'm wondering if the CME has a time server that allows you to sync your computer time with the exchange time down to the second.

One of the annoying things to deal with (particularly with ATS deployment) is the time offset between the computer and the exchange's time.

RoughTrader

2. doli

doli

google for ntp

I don't know that cme uses ntp, but most machines sync up with it.

3. gnome

gnome

All you need to do is synch your computer with either your data service, the Atomic Clock standard in Ft. Collins, CO, or the internet. The exchanges are synched to one of those as standard.

4. gnome

gnome

There's usually a switch to click on, as they don't synch automatically.

5. Right-click on the Task Bar clock - Adjust Date/Time - Internet Time tab - Update Now. (2 servers to choose from.) If you check the "Automatically synchronize..." box, Windows will do this weekly (as long as you are online), but I also do it manually more often than that.

6. gnome

gnome

The Windows synch is only once per week automatically. If you want to be more precise, you need to use something else.

7. Beat me to it... see edit. ;) You can still use the Update Now feature any time.

8. I've used Dimension 4 for years. Its free, and works great. Can sync as many times a day as you wish.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dim4.html

9. Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I'm aware of ntp protocol, and have my windows machines sync'ed to time-a.nist.gov. I still notice about 20 to 30 seconds offset between windows time and IB TWS's time. IB TWS's time i noticed is synced down to the second with TradeStation's time.

Is anyone able to sync down to the second with CME or CBOT?

Thanks,

RoughTrader