Windows Remote Desktop for Trading

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by cubsguy81, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Anyone here who still works a full-time job use Windows Remote Desktop to access your home PC to trade from the office?

I set it up over the weekend and I get full fast access to my desktop at home from my work computer. I've executed a few YM trades this morning and it seems to be working as if I am at home in front of it.

It seems this is a great way to get around having to install software on a work PC yet still be able to trade and keep everything on your own personal computer.

2. Baywolf

Baywolf

If your work is not blocking port 3389, this is a fine way to get around the corp. firewall.

I trade like this also, but more so because I rather have all my workspaces and EL code on one machine, and not worry about having to sync files back and forth between computers.

The next step for you would be to tunnel your traffic through encrypted SSH. I rather not leave port 3389 open on my home firewall. If someone is sniffing for open ports, they will eventually come across your computer, and can run a brute force password attack. So make sure your password is long.

3. cstfx

cstfx

If you must trade fom work, I strongly suggest getting a VPS and running your trading software on that ($30+/month) The added cost (modest) is worth the added security of not having your home network vulnerable to attack.

4. opm8

opm8

meh. You don't need to spend a penny on anything.

I used to RDP to my home computer from work through an ssh tunnel. Best security there is.

opm8

5. I've used RDP for years for trading. Works very well.

I use a VPN to work around the security issues with remote access. You do *not* want RD open to the net!