Windows On-Screen Keyboard

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by eagle488, Oct 14, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro

In order to make sure that is true, you would have to see how it works. If all it does is send the KB driver the codes from the On-Scree KB, all this has done is added an extra level of indirection to using the physical KB hardware and effectively does not bypass Key Logging programs.

If I were really interested in proving it one way or the other, I would write a program to hook the KB driver and see if I was getting called when On-Screen Keyboard was "typing." Intuitively, I would estimate at 95% probability that this won't bypass Key Logging programs since they essentially hook the KB functions themselves.

nitro

#11     Oct 14, 2006
  2. You're right Nitro... looking for a web-based keyboard now.

#12     Oct 14, 2006
  3. #15     Oct 15, 2006
  4. e-miNY

e-miNY

Are u guys sure the on board keyboard is safer? Obviously when u type on the on board keyboard every letter of ur password is visible on the keyboard screen when u are typing. Wouldnt hackers be able to read it directly of what u typed in?

#16     Oct 15, 2006
  5. e-miNY

e-miNY

#17     Oct 15, 2006
  6. arco

arco

Could this possible work?

Keep the account name(s) only in 'Notepad' or 'Word'

Then paste it when/where required, only filling in the password field using the keyboard. (Or even part of the password could be pasted, with the balance by keystroke).

Curious - arco

#18     Oct 15, 2006
  7. keyloggers log all sorts of things. They log the internal system program links to the keyboard. They log the clipboard. They log the screen and some of the newest are designed around onscreen keyboards as well.

I suspect that anti-keylogger software and a policy of conservative browsing/mail opening on your trading and banking machine are the best protection.

#19     Oct 15, 2006
  8. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

This is not really safe, because the clipboard is involved.

Try something like the (free) KeePass Password safe which claims to use safe controls for copying and pasting.

http://keepass.sourceforge.net/download.php

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#20     Oct 16, 2006