Windows Backup

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by eagle488, Oct 9, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

Perhaps you will post your impression after you try it out? Thanks.

#41     Nov 1, 2006
  2. the hard disk has some internal monitoring and when you keep an eye on that then you have advance warning of a hard disk failing.

but for the money that hard disks cost once they get two years old I just replace them - waiting until failure (and you are in the middle of a trade) is not the best strategy.

Maria

#42     Nov 8, 2006
  3. hi maria,

please elaborate

#43     Nov 8, 2006
  4. GTS

GTS

5. GTS

GTS

I've had a chance to try it with a PATA drive it and it worked fine. I don't have a bare (unused) SATA drive to try at the moment.

#45     Nov 8, 2006
  6. gnome

gnome

Did you by chance calculate its data transfer rate... mb/sec?

#46     Nov 8, 2006
  7. GRX

GRX

#47     Nov 8, 2006
  8. GTS

GTS

No but that is a good idea, just ran it now, this is for a 120GB 7200rpm Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 drive

SiSoftware Sandra 2007

Physical Disk Benchmark Results
    Drive Index : 32 MB/s
    Random Access Time : 14 ms

File Systems Benchmark Results
    Drive Index : 27 MB/s
    Random Access Time : 14 ms

Benchmark Breakdown
    Buffered Read : 30 MB/s
    Sequential Read : 32 MB/s
    Random Read : 22 MB/s
    Buffered Write : 25 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 25 MB/s
    Random Write : 25 MB/s
    Random Access Time : 14 ms (estimated)

Drive
    Drive Type : Hard Disk
    Total Size : 114GB
    Free Space : 104GB, 91%
    Cluster Size : 4kB

#48     Nov 8, 2006
  9. gnome

gnome

This is about the same speed as indicated by the other makers.... would make sense to buy this one on price... it's only about 1/2 the others.

#49     Nov 13, 2006
  10. I see someone else has already answered it (S.M.A.R.T.)

However it will not prevent dried up bearings & dropping of hard disks (laptops) although in the latter case Lenovo (ex-IBM) has come up with "active protection system" which measures the acceleration of the machine and then parks the heads if it thinks there is going to be a hard knock.

The mechanical failure (bearings drying up or something else) is the reason that I replace every two years the HD. (Had once a 20Mb Seagate that had to "warm up" before the spindle would run at a decent speed, normally about 10 minutes.... Those were the days that them HD were costing you a small fortune.)

The HD monitoring software is good for capturing bad blocks which used to be a major reason for (gradual) HD failure however more recently I am getting the impression that HD failure is more related to other causes and often more sudden.

Maria

#50     Nov 13, 2006