Windows Backup

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by eagle488, Oct 9, 2006.

1. I like the idea about buying a duplicate hard drive and then simply re-imaging it about every month, week or whatever the time frame. You can install the drive into the metal box and then just leave it powered down when not in use. When there is a failure, take the top off the box and plug in the new hard drive.

I think they sell dual hard-drives nowadays where you wont have to go through all that manual effort. A dual type setup and in the event one fails, there is a backup. Im not up on hard drive technology however.

#21     Oct 10, 2006
  2. GTS

GTS

They sell fairly inexpensive simple RAID1 dual-drive setups (example: http://www.cooldrives.com/sata-to-firewire-enclosure-raid.html). RAID1 mirrors one drive on to the other so the loss of either single drive wont cause any interruption in your work.

Note that this only protects against drive failures - not human failures. E.g. if you delete a critical file then its gone on both drives whereas with a backup you maybe able to recover the file (if its on the last backup). So RAID1 buys you fault tolerance but is not a true backup solution.

#22     Oct 10, 2006
  3. Gnome

with due respect - there are different quality DVD writers and some of them create a large number of sector errors. Recently got a new laptop which had a Mas***** (relabelled Panasonic) in it about which I had heard some horror stories. Sure enough after torture testing the setup for two weeks it broke down and it was replaced (under warrenty) by the much higher rated Hitachi writer.

DVD's written with the earlier ones on the same brand media are dodgy, the Hitachi has not given me one iota of problems.

Although the Acronis backup as a total restore may fail you can still plug the image and obtain individual files from it.

Still lament that I had to ditch PQDI but it just did not want to work with the SATA HD .....

Am having multiple copies on both HD, DVD and external USB HD.

Maria

#23     Nov 1, 2006
  4. mokwit

mokwit

I was told by the shop I bought my PC from that the external hard drive for backups should be external and disconnected when no actually backiing up. Why was he making this suggestion? yep coz the power surge that fried his main HDD also took out the internal backup. Yep, I went with his suggestion. Backup using Casper XP, great product - don't know which method it uses.

#24     Nov 1, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

Yes, a backup isn't "really" a backup unless it's out of the computer.

And to make backing-up easier, Vantec has a new, hot-swapable USB-to-ATA connector kit.... works on 3.5" SATA/PATA and 2.5" as well.

No more need of opening the case to plug in back HDs, nor expensive "external" HDs, nor hard drive enclosures.

This kit plus Acronis/Casper cloning is just the ticket for any old HDs on your shelf. Reviews say it works great.

#25     Nov 1, 2006
  6. hcour

hcour Guest

Oh man, get out! That is just too cool for school. I should have mine by next wk.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea such a thing even existed. How long have they been around?

H

#26     Nov 1, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

Vantec? I don't know how long they've been around, but they're known for quality products. I use their round IDE cables... lifetime warranty.

Recalling offhand, I think they have 2 versions... only one works with SATA, so be sure you get the right one.

#27     Nov 1, 2006
  8. hcour

hcour Guest

No, I meant these SATA-to-USB adapters. That really simplifies things. And like you said, no more expensive external drives.

H

#28     Nov 1, 2006
  9. mokwit

mokwit

er, what is this thing (in English) and what does it do that no external hard drive or casing is needed from now on, ever! :D

#29     Nov 1, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

Not sure. The new one from Vantec caught my eye a couple of months ago. A few companies make them.

#30     Nov 1, 2006