Windows 8 Availability

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Daring, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Its much easier to move a pointer around with a mouse than having to move your hand/finger all over the fu*king touch screen to initiate an application/program.

Absolutely no big reason to upgrade to W8 if you already have W7.

Only dumbasses who don't have w7 already and "need to have the lastest thing" will go for the W8 upgrade

#21     Oct 31, 2012
  2. just google it. Looks prettty easy. Apparently the Metro screen goes away pretty easy after starting an app anyways, or so I've read.

Funny to watch them try to shove "touch" down people's throats on desktops that's for sure.

#22     Oct 31, 2012
  3. Interesting to hear positive things about it from a qualified person who does real work for a living. I guess I'll have to install it on a system one weekend and see what I can get it to do.

As always, thanks for the input.

#23     Nov 2, 2012
  4. I thought that I had replied to these posts but can't find it anywhere...

Nope but give it a few weeks and IB will have it up & working. Same with eSignal. The OS only came out last week and usually these guys are all dinosaurs and refuse to "test or develop" on beta or pre-release operating systems simply because in theory it "could change".

What version of VMware? Player? Workstation? ESX? ESXi?

If you are trying to install it on a legit hypervisor I'd strongly suggest using Microsoft's Hyper-V (totally legit and 100% free) and put W8 on that. W8 works fine for me inside VMware Workstation - but it's 8.0 and paid/licensed. No idea if it works on the free flavors of VMware. In ESXi you need to upgrade to the latest and greatest - the upgrade and patch process is a bit of a command-line-pain so I just left it as is (ESXi v5.0) and I'm going to migrate everything over to Hyper-V and Server 2012 vs. running ESXi and W7+Server 2008.

+1, just Google it... or spend 2-3 days and give it a chance. It's actually pretty decent.

It will be nice for touch - but the metro splash screen is going to be the new standard. It's like any PC-tablet or phone or iPad, etc.

You can turn off metro/the tiles/splash screen and it will look exactly like W7. You can also get an enterprise version that's a little different than the home/retail version but that's a volume-license type deal.

The tiles do take some getting used to but it's essentially the same as a start menu, just bigger. Once people figure out how to customize the tiles and splash screen I think they will quit their b*tching. On the Server OS it's much easier/nicer but I do agree that the desktop OS takes some getting used to.

As I said earlier, if I was on anything earlier than W7 I'd skip right over 7 and go to W8. Who knows - W8 may turn into a disaster and end up being like Vista but in the grand scheme of things all the new technology that was introduced in 8 will be around for a long time to come.

#24     Nov 2, 2012
  5. They sure have fucked up productivity in the past five years. I remember sitting in a library doing a term paper and it took 20 minutes to figure out how to print through the stupid fucking yellow button in MS Word because some psychotic asshole in Redmond WA thinks it's "cute" to replace the word File with that stupid fucking button. We have since been fucked with invisible shit on a fucking screen that does not appear unless or until you "mouse over". Tell me how the fuck we are supposed to know that shit is there if it's invisible? We made great strides in efficiency over about a 10-15 year period with computers. Today every time you open Word you have to make changes because we can't store a default template any longer or else they made it so stupidly fucking complicated nobody wants to take the time to figure it out. I put my time in to learn how to be productive and now these fucking assholes in Redmond WA insult me by telling me I wasted my time, money and my life doing that? Well fuck them. They can keep their trash fucking software. When a company comes out who is dedicated entirely on business productivity, they will beat Microsoft with the ugly stick bad and then they'll be left with whatever market share they have left with 12 year old girls who have not gone to Apple, Droid or the others. And there's no help files either. We used to be able to F1 any program and have a great book we could search for terms in to immediately find out how to be more productive. Today, if and only if you're connected, you end up in some endless fucking internet site that isn't even related to the software version you are using.

Tomorrow I'll tell you how I really feel!

#25     Nov 3, 2012
  6. So I bought this new puter the other day with the presumption that their would be drivers for Win7 wrong! Only designed for Win8 and that RPEnabled trick doesn't work anymore. So a nice person directed me to this product and while I just starting using it it solves some of my problems. http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Now if Ninja can just get support for Win 8 I will be good. Been down the virtualization road and no thanks for now.

#26     Nov 4, 2012
  7. Klemen

Klemen

Thanks for all the info... It nice to have it all in one place

#27     Nov 5, 2012
  8. mokwit

mokwit

Agree. Took Win 7 and latest office off secondary machine. It was that bad. Using XP SP3 and Office 2003 - you know, pre effing ribbon .

Dear Bill & Steve,

I don't have time for this sh*t.

Rgs
    M

#28     Nov 5, 2012
  9. Exactly I have three puters right now. I am typing on my run of mill 7 year old Dell Dimension E521 with dual core 2.0ghz and 2 gig of ram XP. The truth its just as fast ( I reformat HD every 6 months ) as my newer Win 7 laptop with quad core 2.4 gig with 8 gigs of RAM and still just about as fast as my newest laptop with Win 8 quad core 3rd gen 2.4ghz and 12 gigs or RAM. Now I believe some of the issue is my Win 7 laptop has a 7200 RPM HD and the Win 8 is just stock 5400 RPM HD, but at this point I am about to return it rather than pay for SSD from Intel upgrade.

Long story short. Really no performance improvement at all. The XP machine is just as fast as the other two. Any hardware improvement are negated by the BS the MFST puts out, it just gets more bloated with every release. BTW I am running Enterprise Win 8 and just idle it uses 17% of 12 GB of RAM! WTF is that! That is a POS BS plain and simple.

#29     Nov 5, 2012
  10. As I think about this more if it continues I may just give a go and go back to Linux with windows virualized. It's PITA frankly, but Linux works.

Isn't Debian the French paid versioin of Linux? My complaint with Linux is no support. I have run about 5 distros of Linux and I love the concept and I am willing to pay for some support just not get gouged like Apple does since they are both modified Unix code.

#30     Nov 5, 2012