Windows 7

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mgookin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Because you describe the shortcoming in relation to a specific website, it sounds like a video codec issue.

Microsoft actually (believe it or not) has a great resource for Win7 users to get tech things answered. You can go to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro and scroll down to the category of information you're looking for. I did about 3 or 4 questions on there and each was answered in less then a day.

#21     Apr 2, 2010
  2. Windows has reached the point where, barring real breakthrough thinking, is a mature product. The only thing saving Microsoft revenues is trojan horse (oem) installations which is largely how many end up with the new OS. CAD, Financial programs in this situation don't have this luxury so the subscription model is where they have being going, pioneered by Autodesk. Or forced upgrades ala Intuit. It's a tough situation as the companies need revenue to keep going even when they have nothing new to add to their apps.

I think Vista was a trojan horse that was so bad (out of the box) it got folks to embrace 7, which is what Vista should have been in the first place.. There are 2 camps these days, those that love eye candy and those that want their OS to be invisible, stay out of the way and allow work to be done.. Still on XP here and thrilled.

#22     Apr 2, 2010
  3. Only a turkey would use Explorer to manage files.

If you ask REAL NICE, I'll tell you what to use.

#23     Apr 6, 2010
  4. dcvtss

dcvtss

I just tried to help a friend share a local printer connected to a Win7 desktop to a Vista laptop over a wireless network, what a pain in the ass this homegroup and ridiculously fine grained sharing controls are. Couldn't get it to work and he had no internet connection yet so I had to wait to get home to check google and see how many friggin properties windows you have to go through to set this up. This incident plus another earlier encounter with trying to set up weblogic on windows 7 and wasting a bunch of time fighting the fake admin privileges to get control of the files in my own damn install has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I'm sticking with XP for now and considering myself lucky I don't have to deal with 7 every day.

#24     Apr 6, 2010
  5. Here's how to get the real Admin account going so you really can make operating system changes. Go to Control Panel/ Admin Tools/ Computer Management/ Local Users and Groups/ Users and in the middle of your screen Right click Administrator and select Properties and uncheck the Disable box. Log off and on as Admin and you can make any changes you want.

You can go to http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ategory/w7itpro and scroll down to the category of information you're looking for. It's moderated by Microsoft staff as well as peers. It takes < 1 day for a solution.

#25     Apr 7, 2010
  6. Remember this is Microsoft folks, and Windows 7 is going to have plenty of problems. Just because it is the latest shiny new thing doesn't make it ready for prime time. I just bought a new laptop a few weeks ago with it and I have been noticing some glitches here and there with the display and desktop and weird little problems. Plus it has already received about a dozen security and bug fixes just in the last week or so. I wouldn't trust it to trade with right now because it is too new but it seems to do ok for just charts and browsing. I'll be sticking to XP for a long time I think for trading use.

#26     Apr 7, 2010
  7. Read an article last week about how the reviewer was "glad IE9 was not going to be supported by XP"... because "XP is obsolete"...

#27     Apr 7, 2010
  8. dcvtss

dcvtss

Thanks!

#28     Apr 7, 2010
  9. Thought I would add a recent discovery (to me anyway) of this feature I came across:

You can use flash memory in a Windows 7 system as RAM. Install the flash memory, go to My Computer, right click the memory and choose "Ready Boost".

Not all flash memory works and I don't know how the x32 will react to greater than whatever that threshold is. But it costs nothing to try.

Of course the realized bandwidth of the memory will be restricted to the bandwidth of the interface (card reader, usb, etc.).

Got any Win 7 tips for others? Share them here please.

#29     Oct 30, 2010
  10. Yeah... LINUX!

#30     Oct 30, 2010