Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheStudent, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Crap. If it runs on a single CPU it is because you run it on bad virtualization technique.

The trading workstation I have set up has dual cores IN The virtual machine. The high performance SQL Server on the same machine has access to 4 cores at the moment ;) Once the new 6 core CPU's arrive I can upgrade that to 8 (because the server will have 12 cores).

It depends on the technology you use.

VmWare server and Hyper-V server support multi CPU virtual machines.

#31     Sep 19, 2009
  2. dewton

dewton

Try Sun's VirtualBox... it has support for multiple CPU's.

#32     Sep 19, 2009
  3. user X

user X

Actually, I was talking about Chrome OS, rather than Chrome browser running on an existing OS. My understanding is that the OS will rely on whatever web aplet is utilized by the site. Also, I don't use a high powered platform. I use Scottrader and I have major problems with Java running on my Vista, so I'm hoping that Chrome OS will yield higher reliability. What do you think about that scenario?

#33     Sep 19, 2009
  4. Thanks. That is what I have used. It is then very likely that something I have setup that caused it, but I could not correct it. Started out good, low cpu, quad,
    cpu was good here (from another discussion , w7 running in vm all cores ) . . . then when I run MC it utilized single core and I had trouble to correct it and it stayed that way.

virtual machine setup

I am new to virtual machines and very interested, will continue trial and error until I get it working smooth.

As far as W7 goes I have been using build 7100 64 bit and has been working very well.

#34     Sep 19, 2009
  5. Well, seriously - java problems wont disappear on Chrome ;) If the programming is crap or the runtime is crap, both stay the same.

I am a lot more intrested in:

* The ability to soonish run 6 monitors on one ATI ggraphics card (once they are available).
    * A good user interface - sadly Ninja sucks in this area, and does not integrate with Win7 yet - otherwise life would be a lot easier UI wise.
    * Good additional tools.

I am playing around here with setups. So far it goes towards a medium powerfull workstation running Win7, office etc. and getting a remote desktop to a dedicated trading station running ONLY trading software. I Would love trying out terminal server published applications, but I fear that NinjaTrader is too ignorant to proper development practices to run in a terminal server ;)

The results with remote desktop are positively mixed. When toning down the UI a little (16 bit, no animations) it is definitely usable, though sometimes it lags a second (especially order confirmations for open and close - lots of UI updates there). THis is ok as the advantage is that the whole automated trade management still executes faster and more reliable than on the workstations. I think we will give that approach a try now ;)

#35     Sep 20, 2009
  6. I wouldn't be in a hurry to do that. It's not clear yet what Chrome OS actually will be other than a Linux kernel, Chrome browser (or some derivative thereof) and a yet to be defined windowing system - possibly not X11. If it's not running X, there will initially be no Java runtime environment for it. In short it's all a fair way off.

Java apps in general run very well on Linux. If you want a Windows alternative Linux is possibly your best bet as a Java platform. Solaris would be good as well.

#36     Sep 20, 2009
  7. RedSun

RedSun

Running Win 7 RTM release, very stable. All hardware drivers are installed properly. Only problem is Symantec driver and it will be fixed soon (per Symantec).

Also running Vista on another machine. With the SPs, no bugs, very stable. Both Vista and Win7 are much better than XP, and I do not have to mention Win2000. Never want to move back to those.

Still have another machine running XP Pro. That is a slower computer with P4 single-core CPU. Also, some very old programs won't run on Vista/Win7.

Win7 roll-out will be very smooth since it is mostly a perfected Vista. It is a minor upgrade from Vista and is not like the Vista, which was a major upgrade from XP.

Go for it.

#37     Sep 22, 2009