Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheStudent, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Thanks for the reply. Now my problem is not being smart enough to understand the information. Regards:D

#11     Jun 26, 2009
  2. Windows 7 is Vista 2 or Vista the way it was meant to be.

Even the early betas were better than Vista. The latest ones have been getting the user testing that Vista got by going live - notice how many copies MS gave away free and for how long.

So the "stick with Vista (the alpha) until 7 (the one it was supposed to be) is getting old" theory has a flaw. Even the x64 support and drivers are better. I'll be upgrading the kids vista machines asap.

Personally I'll still be using XP for my trading machine. Not as pretty but it really does do everything very well.

#12     Jun 26, 2009
  3. Personally running on Vista rc1 on my trading - works like a charm. Will ugprade to release in 2 weeks when I hopefully hae access to it ;) My trading platform (under early development) will fully support 7 features (specially the new ui management) ;)

#13     Jun 26, 2009
  4. JackR

JackR

A snippet from a newsletter:

Starting Friday, consumers who purchase a PC with Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate at participating retailers will get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it becomes available. The offer will run until Jan. 31, 2010.
    For those waiting until the October 22 release date, a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade will cost $119.99 and the full package will retail for $199.99.
    The Windows 7 Professional upgrade will cost $199.99 and the full system will be $299.99. For Windows 7 Ultimate, the upgrade version will retail for $219.99 and the full version will set you back $319.99.
    From June 26 to July 11, consumers in the U.S. can pre-order the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $49.99 and the Windows 7 Professional upgrade for $99.99. The offer will be available online via retailers like Best Buy, Amazon.com, or the Microsoft Store.

An upgrade from Vista is supposed to be seamless and not require a reinstall. An upgrade from XP will require a complete reinstall.

Jack

#14     Jun 26, 2009
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

Windows 7 Upgrade - $39.99 - 3 Days Only - Reserve Your Copy
    $40 for home
    $90 for Pro

Reserve your copy of Windows 7 Upgrade
    How to get your Windows® 7 Upgrade Savings Coupon:
    1. Come to Micro Center between 6/26/09 - 6/28/09 and ask an associate about the
    Windows® 7 Upgrade Coupon.
    2. Choose either Windows® 7 Home Premium Upgrade coupon or Professional
    Upgrade coupon.
    3. Name, address and email are required, but no purchase is necessary to receive
    the coupon.
    4. Return to Micro Center between 10/22/09 - 11/4/09 with your Windows® 7 Upgrade
    coupon to purchase your upgrade.

#15     Jun 26, 2009
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

"Microsoft is currently holding a two-week pre-sale "sale" on Windows 7, with Windows 7 Home Premium selling for as low as $50 a copy. If you miss the July 11 cut-off and wait until the official October 22 release, you'll pay full price, Microsoft says (for now, anyway)."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...o_vista_owners_youll_pay_for_our_mistake.html

The interesting part is that Ultimate users can only upgrade to 7 Ultimate and they don't even get a break....

#16     Jun 26, 2009
  7. bighog

bighog Guest

hoodooman

06-25-09 03:57 PM

I only have one problem with Vista. If I put my computer on sleep and then bring it back up, it will crash and I have to restart it from scratch. Does anyone else have that problem?

..............................END....................................................

Consider yourself lucky if that is just your computer. Many husbands and or wifes say that about their spouses. :eek:

#17     Jun 26, 2009
  8. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

I always test any new OS and its impact on my software & configuration in a virtual environment before committing to it.

Download and install the free VMware Server and install it to run virtual-machines. Then use the free VMware Converter to capture and virtualize your existing computer.

Then you can test upgrading the virtualized machine to Windows7 and and see if it breaks anything. You can even build a brand new machine from scratch with Windows7 and see if your software will install and configure correctly.

All without disturbing your existing environment. :)

#18     Jun 27, 2009
  9. GFX007

GFX007

I never liked Vista because it sucked, I stayed with Xp until I tried 7, which makes Xp look like a primitive OS.

Windows 7 uses Vista's core. So the drivers on Vista will work on Windows 7.

I've been using Windows 7 RC 1 as my main OS for over 6 months now, and I can honestly say that it's a great come back from Microsoft.

They have fixed all the performance issues that vista had, so it's very fast, even faster than xp, it doesn't require high hardware specs like Vista, up until now it never crashed, it recognizes hardware faster than Vista, I haven't noticed any compatibility issues, they removed all the annoying security checks that bothered everyone. etc... The list goes on and on.

It's a great OS, I'm very impressed and it's only the RC (Release Candidate).

#19     Jun 28, 2009
  10. Just thought I'd share my W7 experiences.

I've been running the 64 bit version of, first the beta and then the RC on a Dell T3400 with 4G ram. Only a single problem on the beta, one of the monitors would intermittently shut off and on as if the OS couldn't decide whether to come out of sleep mode or not. This seems to be fixed in the RC. Have had zero problems with 64 bit RC on the Dell T3400.

On the other hand I've been trying the 32 bit version on a Dell E1705 laptop with 2G ram. So far I've had 3 BSOD's and one complete system freeze. Just changed the config so it doesn't reboot after a BSOD so maybe now I can find out what's causing it.

This laptop has been rock solid for me when running XP (I've never tried "hasta la Vista"), I'm guessing it's not a hardware issue. Could be that 2G ram is not enough(?). Seems to be just as fast or faster than XP though...

#20     Jul 15, 2009