Windows 7

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by codetroll, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Traders use Windoze because Tradestation, eSignal and most of the rest run on Windoze only. They don't have a choice.

Interestingly Interactive Brokers chose not to go this way and have remained cross platform from the start. It would be hard to argue that they have suffered from that choice. Most likely they have benefited.

#11     Dec 23, 2008
  2. bighog

bighog Guest

Most platforms out there are based on exactly what i said, WINTEL. As some politician said: You are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own individual facts.

X-Trader, me, windows, intel all get along fine, Thank You

PS: Merry Christmas to everyone and a happy new year

PS: for the guy that asked me if i am a newbie, yes i am, i am actually thinking real hard to place a real live trade today after 30 years trying to get up the nerve to actually do this. :D

#12     Dec 23, 2008
  3. Errr, yeah, I am kind of a lurker, but, umm, yeah, I can tell you that is the truth - if you want to REALLY play - your backbone is Linux/UNIX :D Intel may or may not provide the CPUs, but, for technical reasons, Windoze is DEFINITELY not the OS of choice!

#13     Dec 23, 2008
  4. I wish MSFT would come out with a windows lite. Just the basics. None of this mult media stuff etc.

#14     Dec 23, 2008
  5. Windows 7 is Vista in new clothes.

They realized that Vista is dead, marketing-wise, and decided to give it a new brand.

#15     Dec 23, 2008
  6. Which is yet another area where Linux has it all over any version of Windows. You want a tiny kernel - then strip out everything you can do without, build and install. It's not rocket science.

There is no Linux Lite, nor is there any need for a Linux Lite. It's all the same (+/-) from massively parallel systems to mobile phones.

#16     Dec 23, 2008
  7. There is Window Lite calls Window CE; embedded version Window xp. Some ATMs and Music boxes run with it.

You can't compare it with Linux. Linux is much more versatile, especially better on IO calls, and real time applications (although the realtime is not native of Linux; needs special library, but easily adaptable with Linux, more to do with hardware design than software.).

#17     Dec 23, 2008
  8. Perhaps this may sound trivial, but the decision to call it "vista" was just plain stupid.

Does not sound like a state of the art OS. Marketing is critical. Microsoft sucks hard at marketing, apple excels in this field.

#18     Dec 23, 2008
  9. Specterx

Specterx

I'm optimistic about Windows 7. Supposedly the emphasis will be on leanness, reliable, efficiency, performance, and all that good stuff, which is just I want from an OS. No need for lots of bells & whistles over here...

#19     Dec 24, 2008