Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses !!!

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by taodr, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Try this:
    http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

Although I haven't tried yet with Win7, I would suspect that you should probably be able to get a system running on less than 30 processes. I recently just upgraded my XP system that I had slowly brought down to being able to run on 23 processes. For me, I think that was the bare minimum. There wasn't a single process left that wouldn't adversely affect my system if I deleted it. If you are planning to do this, I would suggest just doing a few processes at a time, then when you know that you have a stable system, set a restore point and try a few more. Make sure to take a note of what processes you disable, just in case.

#41     Nov 12, 2009

2. How do you know which processes to disable ?

How you make windows remember the next time it starts up ?

Also "System processes" ?

#42     Nov 12, 2009
  3. Read the link I posted. It will explain how to go about tweaking your system and what running processes can be safely disabled. They have 3 levels on their chart. 1. "Safe" 2. "Tweaked" and 3. "Barebones". I would stick with "Safe" for the time being and then just slowly add some of the "Tweaked" settings. Note, not all the processes/services they show will be getting used by your system and also they may show some that are on your system.
    Much of it is trial and error.

Windows will automatically remember the new settings when you reboot.

#43     Nov 12, 2009
  4. I hate HP right now. Had a problem with Windows 7 and they won't give me the recovery disk after spending $1300 without paying another $20! F*ck you HP. Dell never did this to me. I told the Punjabi support that I would return this POS to Sam's Club.

Then I started thinking. Hmm,.......Linux Mint a derivative of Unbututu is supposed to be user friendly. Free, like that. Virtual Box free and allows me to run Windows in VB for trading apps like Sierra and NT. Took me a couple of days but I am freeing myself from the bondage that is Windows slowly but surely.

Now I understand why the Linux crowd hates Windows. Linux is so much more stable.

Next year Hackintosh here I come.

#44     Dec 1, 2009
  5. I would never use virtual box for what you have in mind. instead set up a kernel virtual machine (KVM) which will give you near bare metal levels of performance and be able to run Windows images (I know Red hat KVM can do this). In fact, I believe that KVM gives superior performance than VMWare's ESX.

Thx
    D

#45     Dec 1, 2009
  6. Thanks for the FYI. As you can tell I am a Linux noob, but hey we all to start somewhere right?

#46     Dec 1, 2009
  7. Unbelievable

I have been waiting for my windows 7 but now that I hear about all of these issues , maybe I should wait to install it.

Is this better then Vista?
    I had to go back to XP because Vista kept crashing.

#47     Dec 3, 2009
  8. what the heck i installed 7 already and now i read about all this.. sigh

#48     Dec 3, 2009
  9. Those who believe history repeats should read this article. These geeks from Merrill Lynch suggest that the top for the market will be at the end of the year with the final bottom in 2014. The time and price correlation with Japan is quite astounding.

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/wilson/2009/0901.html

Also those familiar with Paul Tudor Jones (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tudor_Jones) know that he has made billions from correlating the market to past history. He recently came out of the closet and suggested we are experiencing a similar market to the 1970s. I checked back and the rally from 1970 appears to fit well if we are going to see lower lows whilst the rally of 1974 was on decreasing volume similar to what we are witnessing now. Take your pick but I suspect one of these scenario's will play out. If it is the 1970 rally then the geeks from Merrill's will be right if the dollar drops enough while the market rises.

#49     Jan 13, 2010
  10. Really? It's a good thing that I haven't changed my OS yet. Whew!

#50     Feb 5, 2010