Windows 7 Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Redneck, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Redneck

Redneck

Howdy,

Well (and I’m venting a little)

My family and I went to dinner Friday night and I had my trading laptop, (the HP dvt9500) in my vehicle – it was broken into and my lap top stolen

So today I ordered another one (specs below) – and it’s coming with Windows 7

Has/ or is – anyone trading with Windows 7?

Any issues with Windows 7?

Should I get another hard drive and load XP and use it (btw I tried VISTA and hated it)?

This lap top will be trading only, and the occasional Elite Trader browsing :)

And yes I know I could have built one – but I am into using them, not building them - at this stage of my life

dv8t quad edition
    • Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    • FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    • 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
    • 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
    • Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    • Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Espresso Black)
    • Intel Wireless-N Mini-card
    • No TV Tuner w/remote control
    • HP Color Matching Keyboard
    • 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    • Microsoft(R) Office Small Business 2007
    • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Thanks All

RN

2. Sorry to hear about your laptop stolen. Had the same thing happen to me, broke in my car and stole my laptop too. Learned my lesson about that. WIN7 is a good OS imo. I have had no issues with it. What brand/model laptop is that you're buying? It is nicely configured.

3. I am running Win 7 on the computer now with NT and I had to make a few adjustments, can't recall but it's fine. One feature on TransAct doesn't work so I just trade off this computer and use the quad for charting. I would plan on doing a fresh install of OS since all of them come with bloatware, ads, and crap.
    Your CPU is more than enough you may want to upgrade RAM since it's so cheap, like 8 gigs or so. NT 6.5 eats more that 2.5 RAM on my quad.

Win 7 has 32 bit compatibility mode so it shouldn't be a problem.

I never ran Vista so can't speak to that.

Acronis or likewise wouldn't hurt as well.

4. Redneck

Redneck

It's an HP

And Thank Goodness I had my other one password protected

Thank You for the feedback

RN

5. Redneck

Redneck

Good Points

Thank You Sir

6. Fishaman

Fishaman

RN,

Have been reading your posts a long time and always enjoy them and almost always agree with them.

I am a fellow hater of Vista and have been using Win7 for about 2 weeks. Have had no problems with Win7, although I did need to do some searching in order to get my printer to to function properly due to a lack of 64-bit printer drivers created by the printer manufacturer (Brother).

Win7 seems to work better than Vista and seems to stay in the background more, like a good OS should. The one thing I really don't like about Win7 is the search function (for searching for files on very large hard drives. I ended up getting a little program called xplorer² (http://www.zabkat.com/) and it does a much better job at searching. There are probably other similar utilities out there that do the same thing.

I did some benchmark tests and Win7 was slightly faster than Vista 64 bit, but barely so.

In summary, Win7 is better than Vista and probably better than Windows XP. It is definitely the "future" of Windows computing and so I feel it does make sense to order your new laptop with Win7. Sorry to hear about your car.

Best,

Fishaman

7. Redneck

Redneck

T666/ Fishaman

Thank You both Kindly

I like that tracking software

RN

8. has anyone played around with the new Windows XP mode in Windows 7? Does it run older applications without a hitch?

9. Redneck

Redneck

DC

No I have not – and I’m really not sure how to be truthful…

Aside

Received the computer – remove the unnecessary stuff – loaded the necessary stuff (software) and traded – it works very well… And I am using a direct access platform

I think I like Win 7

Take Care All - and Thanks Again for the Feedback

RN

eta - By the way an 18" monitor is the cat's ass

#10     Nov 25, 2009