Windows 7 Pro Won't Run >1 Monitor.. Have you seen this before?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Oct 22, 2012.

1. When I try to run more than 1 monitor (NVS 295 video cards), I'm getting a BSOD with the mention of "nvlddmkm.sys"

I looked it up on the web.. others have had same problem. A fix to recreate this file was offered... I tried it, but no joy.

The file is installed when an Nvidia driver is installed and is removed when the driver is uninstalled.

I tried the current 306.79 version and an older, 295.73... same result.

Any of you see this before and know the fix?

TIA

PS I pulled the video cards from my XP machine and they were working just fine... seems to be an Nvidia problem with this file in W7... ??

2. After several hours of troubleshooting, looks like With Windows 7 or Nvidia drivers do not fancy the NVS 295 card. I've tried about 9 combinations of NVS 295 cards, 3 computers, half dozen Nvidia drivers... with troubles ranging from not stable to BSOD. I've tested on W7 Pro-32 and W7 Ultimate-64. None works properly or not at all.

With my NVS 290 cards, everything works just fine all around.

Any of you experience something like this, and if so do you know of a fix?

TIA

3. After a week's troublshooting, I finally called Dell Support.

They knew of this issue and stopped selling computers with "W7 + 2, NVS 295 cards". They say 2, 295s work OK in XP and Vista, but not W7... and they don't know why.

Dell Support said they'd check the history of reports of this fail and see if they can offer a fix, but as the T3500 is no longer offered new, I doubt any further work will be done.

I'm running 4 monitors now on 2, 290s on W7-32bit. I'm not yet sure if it's 100% stable, but it will have to do until I get more info or decide to use even different video cards.

FWIW....

PS... 2, 290s on W7-64 on a T3400 are perfectly stable, but the T3400 won't run 2, 295s in W7, either.

4. chisel

chisel

Thanks for the update. While I don't have a Dell machine, I am running 4 -290s with XP on a homebuilt rig and was planning to install W7 x64 sometime this winter.

5. I was using 2, 295s on Dell Precision T3400 with XP... no problems at all... As you are running 290s instead of 295s, I think you're good to go for installing Wy-64 bit. I tested W7-64 with 2, 290s and they worked correctly.

6. That's why you should refuse to buy that new junk from Microsoft and all the others, it's a scam called "planned obscolescence" and most people fall for it .

I an still using XP Pro and I have one computer that 's 10 years old "+ and still works like a charm, if I can stay away from the new applications, that basically brought verxy little to the table since 2000.

It's a shame software developers had to become scammers to keep prospering.

7. I have a T3400 with 6 gigs of RAM running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit version.
    I am also supporting four displays via the NVS-290's that came with my T3400. No problems.

A few months ago, I picked up a new Dell XPS-8300 from their reburbished site just because I wanted a "cheap" back-up and I really liked the power of the Intel i-2700 processor. It came with Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit version and I loaded it up with 16 Gigs of RAM and put a PCNY-Nvidia NVS-300 into it. No problems.

8. It's known that Dell has this issue, but I don't know whether it's a "W7 + 295" problem, or "W7 + 295 + X58 Dell" problem.

If you have experience with other motherboards (Giga, MSI, Asus, etc.) with 2 or more, NVS 295 cards.. mounted on an X58 mobo and running W7... please post your experience... positive or negative.

TIA