Windows 7 for FREE as of May 5th

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bighog, May 3, 2009.

1. bighog

bighog Guest

Anyone have reports on the trial download? In chat zipperhead unzipped (ZZZZzzzzzz) said he was downloading it.

I am downloading it on a spare box to give it a ride myself. Nothing to lose.

On another box i changed a hard drive and microsoft made me call to get activated. I am sorry but i can not help myself but to mess with someone from Outer-inner- Mongolia. I mean someone that improves their life by messing with computer nerds in America that takes your calls and pretends to speak english is classic entertainment for free. It is no fun getting activated from MSFT until al least one moron hangs up on you. :)

#11     May 9, 2009
  2. I have been running Windows 7 RC on my laptop and must say it's very nice. I loaded the OS on a solid state drive (Intel X-25M) and it just moves soo quick. So far no issues with drivers. Most Vista drivers will work for Windows 7. Esignal and quotetracker both work. I considering upgrading my main trading system to Windows 7.

#12     May 9, 2009
  3. how does IB TWS work on W7?

#14     May 9, 2009
  4. it works just fine.:cool:

#15     May 9, 2009
  5. I went through Windows 7RC notes but couldn't find an answer to this question.

If you install Win.7RC on a Vista PC, and then decide to uninstall
    Win.7, will you have to reinstall Vista or does Vista remain intact on the HDD after installing Win.7RC? Just thought that it being a RC might allow the original OS to remain.

Thank you.

#16     May 9, 2009
  6. uh no, I believe you must do a fresh install with Windows 7. That means that unless you're running partitions and/or multiple hard drives to do dual boot your Vista would be gonzo.

#17     May 9, 2009
  7. Suggest installing W7 on a different hard drive. If you don't have a spare, you should.... regardless of what you do with W7.

#18     May 10, 2009
  8. Correct. You want a partition of its own for W7 (then you can leave your old vista behind).

W7 is just smoothed out vista with a new task bar (not so keen on it) and search engine (good). If it runs under vista it is likely to run under W7 --- this is Vista 2.0.

Everything should run a little better.

Note: If you use acronis or drive snapshot or somesuch you can make an image of your existing vista partition then install W7 and restore vista at a later date if you should want to do it.

#19     May 10, 2009
  9. cashcow

cashcow

A new, smaller and faster Kernel
    More optimal code throughout
    Good application compatibility.
    A radical shift in the graphics driver technology.
    Too many other things to mention

Quite smoothed.

The following article from the Windows development team explains the versioning numbers used by Windows:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/wi.../14/why-7.aspx?CommentPosted=true&PageIndex=5

All trading software I have used for far works seemlessly with Windows 7.0.

I would however recommend installing Win 7.0 on a separate partition, but this is standard practice when dealing with any new operating system.

#20     May 10, 2009