Windows 7 Experiences

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by kiwi_trader, Jan 16, 2009.

1. bighog

bighog Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGPQVUJqq0

What better to do on a heavy snow and FREEZING dat than bite the bullet and take VISTA Business out of a PC and replace it with XP PRO. I just got fed up with it beibf DIFFERENT and full of fluff compared to XP. the speed was a non issue and the video cards were no problem. The fluff is a bit much, windows this, windows that, ENOUGH ALREADY. But all is not lost, i took the vista disk and heated one end up over the stove and then curled up a small section to use as a handle and now i use it as a coaster for my non-stop coffee drinking from approx 0530 to approx 2230 est time.

PS: Great start to new year, TA is working really good. Lets all have a great year.

PS: I have "ZERO" interest in windows7..............ZERO interest. Xp pro will have to be dead and buried befrore i fall again.

#11     Jan 17, 2009
  2. Running the Win7 Beta inside VMWare on OSX. So far, neither problems nor improvements of notes.

It's just....Windows.

#12     Jan 17, 2009

3. Keep the Faith!

#13     Jan 17, 2009
  4. I'm in day 2 now. All my software seems to work fine - only issue to date is ramdisk softare and speedfan.

Smooth OS. Cleaner than vista. It will be interesting to see if there are any issues when trading.

#14     Jan 17, 2009
  5. Windows 7 will fail!

Microsoft's design team did something incredibly stupid in Vista: They completely changed Windows interface. This minor technical change, which is purely cosmetic, is the reason why Vista was poorly received by the general public. 90% of computer users are technically challenged and would have a difficult time using their computers if "things" are moved around and not found in their "original" places. This would be the equivalence of GM building new cars and switching the position of accelerator pedal with the break pedal, just to make it look "nice" and give it a different feel.

Microsoft has not learned from its mistakes and it is actually repeating it again with this release, hence, they will fail!

#15     Jan 17, 2009
  6. I run 4 different operating systems. I dual boot and I use the free Virtualbox.

Windows 7 looks and feels just like Vista.

I love Ubuntu for my leisure and XP for everything else.

I agree with the poster who said XP will have to be dead and buried before I switch.

XP is fine...

#16     Jan 18, 2009
  7. bighog

bighog Guest

This question has nothing to do with Turdows 7 or Shitsta but i do not like to open a new thread.

In XP PRO in a "standalone" PC that will be used exclusively for futures order entry/exit what services and or processes can be Disabled?

I do not want to get to deep into eliminating useless stuff that might make the operating system less than ideal. Some stuff might be obvious to Disable.

Any websites on this subject? I remember one called black viper or something but looking for something up to date. Thks in advance.

Anyone else feel Microsoft is more like a nosey mother in law instead of being a friend since you married their OS?

#17     Jan 18, 2009
  8. We resurrect the old religious wars. As anyone will find if they check my record I was very anti-vista. I am not anti W7. XP64 never got off the ground because of driver issues but WS2008 and W7 both have 64bit versions with good driver support (now, when w7 or Vista 1.1 is coming out).

I tried Ubuntu but the problem for me and many others is that my apps don't run on it. Sierra Chart; OneNote are the two I couldn't do without. And games of course :)

Oh and turning off that user protection crap on W7 has been made a lot easier than it was on Vista. Still got to have "approved drivers" for x64 though which currently counts peerguardian out for torrent protection.

Current report. Day 3. W7b1 x64. Been running two copies of SierraChart (one on TWS, live; the other using data from that one and set to mytrack (which I don't subscribe to). W7 7000 x64 (b1) with SC379, TWS 890.6, Java 1.6.0_12-ea (b3) running the x64 version for TWS and the 32bit version for 32bit Firefox (3.2a1 pre which runs better than the earlier x64 version).

SC's are running extremely well. 4 trades. 1 loser. 3 winners. No issues.
    Firefox 3.2 is very fast. Seems as fast as google chrome so maybe they've caught up!

Bighog. You might try looking up eXPerience on the net to find out what he disabled (flexibly) in TinyXP06 and TinyXP09. PM me if you can't find where he posts and I'll give you a url.

#18     Jan 18, 2009