Windows 2000 Pro vs. XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maggandre, Jun 22, 2003.

1. wipe out the hard drive and do an install of Winodws 95.

#21     Jun 24, 2003
  2. I agree ...wipe out hard drive.

#22     Jun 24, 2003
  3. Never have used XP-pro. Are you saying that XP-pro is better than 2000?

#23     Jun 24, 2003
  4. Blackviper site has a ton of intersting info, particularly on setting up your email program. He says that using the preview pane is a big security risk. Not sure I understand why. Can a virus launch just by being received and displayed in the lower pane of OE, even though you haven't opened any attachments?

#24     Jun 24, 2003
  5. the answer to your question is YES. If its an HTML email, it can have JavaScript enabled. If you do not have the email options set to block JavaScript (assuming you have the latest patches for the email client), it would run exploit various vulnerabilities.

its also a bad idea to use the preview because if you click on a spam message that has HTML in it, it will cause the images in that message to load. The request to the spammer's server for the image URL tells them that they hit a valid email, causing more spam.

#25     Jun 24, 2003
  6. Roscoe

Roscoe

to spreadem: Yes, better driver support, slightly quicker.

to j medved: You may care to dump Outlook and go with The_Bat! (www.ritlabs.com/the_bat) - IMO this thing runs rings around the MS product and is far less vulnerable to attack.

#26     Jun 24, 2003
  7. Hey thanks. Are those HTML spams the ones that launch a pop up window when you try to delete them? Man, they suck.

And do you just not use the preview pane, or do you set up your options to not download the email until you open it? Or is that the same thing? And what do you lose by not authorizing html and javascript?

#27     Jun 25, 2003
  8. Basically, no email message should need JavaScript. So, I have that disabled and EXE and other "runnable" attachments. HTML is no biggie if all those things are disabled. I think if you get the latest patches for Outlook or Outlook Express, it does it by default.

As for Bat mail, its nice, but not quite the same. I need advanced rules (Bat's are not quite up to par) and plus I have 5GIG of mail - Really don't want to deal with conversion, even if its available :). I am satisfied with Outlook, now that MS has fixed the bugs that were there in the original release of Outlook XP. As for viruses, if you do the stuff above, you will not get them even without a virus scanner running. On an average day, I get about 600 messages, plus another 300 or so spam, so I am probably a heavy user :)

#28     Jun 25, 2003