Windows 10 - Awful Performance and UX - spin spin spin...

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by kmiklas, Mar 7, 2019.

1. This thread has me feeling good with my trading workstation under Win 7 Pro. Rock solid...never crashes.
    Only issues are dealing with Interactive Brokers crapware.....always a problem with TWS, the API or the Gateway.
    It's always something with them.

#61     Apr 26, 2019
    Onra likes this.
  2. tomorton

tomorton

Never had an issue with W10. Never crashed, everything has worked fine since I bought the PC, its just over 2 yrs old. I give it light use I suppose, its quite a basic model.

#62     Apr 27, 2019
  3. What trading platform are you running on W10 ? Which version of W10 are you running ?
    W10 Pro, W10 Home, 32 bit, 64 bit ?

#63     Apr 28, 2019
  4. tomorton

tomorton

The trading platform is the generic issue from the firm I trade through. Apparently it has looks and features very similar to MT4.
    I run Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.
    Never seen it crash.

#64     Apr 28, 2019
  5. The OP was complaining about the speed of his Windows 10 and the constant updates which change his install. He wasn't complaining about crashes. You do need a fairly robust system to use Windows. The OP mentioned spinning so I assume he still uses a hard drive and not an SSD or M.2 NVMe. This is what I recommended to anyone for an upgrade in my reply. Even a 7200 RPM hard drive will be slow. If the OP is using 4 GB RAM or less, chances are his PC was constantly accessing the Windows swapfile, something which will greatly slow any PC. That could be the thrashing he was mentioning.

If you want a true multi-monitor trading desktop, you really need to buy at least a 4 core/8 thread CPU, 32 GB quad channel RAM, and an M.2 NVMe. Trading platforms, browsers, etc..., they all take a large amount of RAM.

There has been a lot of excitement regarding the new 7nm AMD Zen 2 line of CPU's expected to be announced May 30. You can probably buy them in October so wait until then for them to work out all the bugs in the BIOS and Windows. You may be able to buy a 12 core/24 thread AMD Zen 2 CPU for under $400. The new 7nm AMD Zen 2 is expected to be faster than Intel's 14nm i9 CPU.

Be sure to disable all Microsoft Windows 10 Telemetry to the extent you are able. Keep an eye on your open ports to see if Windows 10 is sending any data and when. I don't think you can do anything about the automatic Windows updates. At best, all you can do is delay them. I haven't searched for any solutions though. I use Windows 7 Pro on my 5 monitor, i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD desktop. 16 GB RAM is the most my desktop will take.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    #65     May 1, 2019
  6. This is very similar to my set-up. SSD absolutely essential IMHO.

#66     May 2, 2019
  7. tomorton

tomorton

Speed is great for me. I recently got rid of cookies and cache stuff for first time in 2 years - speed was good before and doing this made no noticeable difference. As should be hoped for.

#67     May 3, 2019
  8. I use Glary Utilities Pro....great for temp file and cache clean-up.

#68     May 3, 2019
  9. birdman

birdman

10. Have you seen Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry administration in your Windows Task Manager? It is safe to say that you are wondering what's going on here? Would it be a good idea for you to evacuate it? In this post, you will find out about Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. Also, you will figure out how to fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high circle utilization issue.

#70     Jul 3, 2019