Windows 10 - Awful Performance and UX - spin spin spin...

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by kmiklas, Mar 7, 2019.

1. If you have less than bleeding edge hardware then Ubuntu or any other popular distro will give you a convenience, security, and performance boost. If you have hardware ISSUES, that's another thing. If your processor or RAM or HD are not too healthy then just changing operating systems will not make the problems go away altogether.

I switched to Ubuntu when W8 came out and I thought it was horrible. I had messed around with Red Hat and a couple other distros way back in the day but Linux was still just a bit geeky and I wanted my computers to use as tools, not hobbies. Tried a couple other OSs such as the superb OS/2 Warp and BeOs, but drifted back to DOS and WinDOHs. It always seemed like they would release one terrible version, then the next one would be sort of okay. And I was always just one fit of anger away from going back to Linux. W8 was the last straw. I added it all up.

Windows cons:
    Closed source operating system. Only Microsoft can effectively write patches, and they take their sweet time.
    Poor support for terminal operations
    Very unsecure
    Updates = nightmare
    Feeding ground zero for malware
    Users pay for the advertising that is partly responsible for making them users
    Predatory business practices, particularly in regard to PC makers

Windows pros
    Uh.... ability to run VB, another microsoft product.
    Better than Mac, I guess.
    I really can't think of anywhere that WinDOHs shines, compared to Linux or Unix.

Linux cons
    Can't run VB. Maybe that is a con, maybe not. I don't feel particularly deprived by that.

Linux pros
    Stability
    Security
    Open Source. Any user is potentially a developer
    Incredible peer support
    Free
    Flexible and customizable and no I am not talking about wallpaper or icon size LOL
    Extremely powerful shell
    Runs nicely on older hardware
    Usually sees and sets up hardware without installing drivers
    Most of the everyday apps you use all the time are open source, and free.
    Easy to turn off automatic updates
    Cool factor. WinDOHs is for the peasants.
    Predictable product release cycle
    Cute mascot.

Mint's UI is more nearly like WinDOHs than any other distro, I believe. Debian is probably the most stable out of the most popular distributions, but all the others are pretty darn good if you ask me, too. Ubuntu has the largest user base and the most apps ready to install or play, and best support. The differences are not that great, though. Ubuntu is a pretty good choice I think, and it is what I run. I am on 16.04, released the 4th month of 2016. The next long term support release will be 20.04, and will be available the 4th month of 2020. See the pattern? Every 4 years a new LTS, Long Term Support, version is released in the 4th month.

You MIGHT be able to perform a dual boot installation. I was never able to do that successfully. But don't count on it... figure that the computer you will run Linux on, will run only Linux. So consider a second computer running WinDOHs as training wheels in case you go "Hey, where's my <fill in the blank>.

#11     Mar 7, 2019
    VPhantom and kmiklas like this.
  2. #12     Mar 7, 2019
    VPhantom likes this.
  3. kmiklas

kmiklas

#13     Mar 7, 2019
    VPhantom likes this.
  4. Would love to get back to a pure OS without all of the bloat, such as Linux. Unfortunately, all of my trading software requires Windows.

Someone needs to create a utility that purifies Windows by uninstalling/disabling all unnecessary software/services. Actually, the solution may be in the MS server platform. I would assume all this W10 crap doesn't exist.

#14     Mar 7, 2019
    VPhantom and kmiklas like this.
  5. kmiklas

kmiklas

I thought about writing a simple script/long-running process to kill unwanted stuff on startup, and continue to monitor and kill stuff as Windows restarts it. (Cortana, I’m looking in your direction...)

#15     Mar 7, 2019
  6. ph1l

ph1l

I was able to disable Cortana with information from
    http://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

You should also make a System Restore point before continuing. Windows will probably do this automatically when you install the Anniversary Update, but it couldn’t hurt to make one manually–that way, if something goes wrong, you can always roll back.

Then, open the Registry Editor by pressing Windows+R on your keyboard, typing “regedit” into the box, and pressing Enter.
    Navigate to the following key in the left sidebar:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

If you don’t see a “Windows Search” key (folder) below the Windows folder, right-click the Windows folder and select New > Key. Name it “Windows Search”.
    Right-click the “Windows Search” key (folder) in the left pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    Name the value “AllowCortana”. Double-click it and set the value to “0”.

You can now close the registry editor. You’ll have to sign out and sign back in or restart your computer before the change takes effect.

To undo your change and restore Cortana in the future, you can just return here, locate the “AllowCortana” value, and delete it or set it to “1”.

#16     Mar 7, 2019
  7. Peter10

Peter10

Windows is an unavoidable problem

#17     Mar 7, 2019
    apdxyk likes this.
  8. ZBZB

ZBZB

Surprised you have not got SSD boot drive. Even a sata 2 SSD will boot windows 10 in ten seconds.

#18     Mar 7, 2019
  9. Not mine. I abandoned spinner drives years ago. I tried the spinner that came with the computer... it takes nearly 3 minutes to boot.

As I look for solutions online, I see many who claim boot times like yours and many others who are around 1 minute even with SSDs. I don't know why the diff.

Are you using Windows Defender? I wonder if it's doing some drive scan or something at boot time....??

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    #19     Mar 7, 2019
  10. kmiklas

kmiklas

I might reinstall.

I must have put something on there that’s causing all this delay and thrashing.

#20     Mar 7, 2019