Win7-64 Upgrade/Install Question

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by jmiles301, Jul 7, 2012.

1. 1245

You can not upgrade win xp to win 7. You must do a fresh install. The banded version might have dell or hp stuff on it.

2. I'm planning on doing a fresh install (both of those options were full versions), but I just don't understand the difference between the branded and otherwise, and there is a relatively big price difference between the two, percentage-wise.

3. 1245

Do the cheaper version. If the brand adds software or advertising, you can always uninstall the extra stuff. Make sure before to do the install, you have the correct hardware drivers. Most important is the motherboard. With that you can download everything else.

4. 1245

One more tip. Hard drives are so cheap, I would use a fresh one, keep the old one in case you have any issues. You can go back.

5. How can I check that to ensure I have what I need?

I just ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor) and it stated that I need to do a full custom installation of Windows 7, but it didn't stat that there was any problems in doing so...

The only hardware issue that I know of is that my ATI card will not work on the 64-bit system, and that did come up in the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor report..

6. Ditto. Buy a new disc and keep the old one on a shelf or install as D:

7. Agreed.

In fact, I just picked up the Samsung 830 Series Solid State Hard Drive with 64 Gigs for only $89.95 at New Egg.com a couple of weeks ago. It's the MZ-7PC064D/AM
    Looks like they increased the price by $10.00
    Check out the review on New Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147133

This drive has most impressive performance.
    Super fast!

8. NoBias

NoBias

+1

Just finished building another system this morning using the new Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB

Did a little research and the Read/Write improved on the 128 GB model, I got a great deal on it the other week [$89.99 - $10 rebate]. That and an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 [sweet mobo], Ivy Bridge i5-2570K, 16GB ram, dual nVidia GeForce GT 430's with a spare PCIE slot available for a third card if desired, driving Quad 2560x1600 30" monitors - amazing performance.

Going to upgrade all my other systems 1st and 2nd gen Intel SSD's with the Samsung 830, albeit the Intel 520 cherryville 60gb is a nice SSD as well. Was on the fence between the two but couldn't beat the price to performance ratio of the Samsung, and no regrets...

Newegg shopping list with the i7 Ivy for those considering a build http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17295811

9. See how it says "Dell" on the bottom picture? That's essentially the difference between a branded version and unbranded. On the start menu you will find an internet link to the help & support section of whoever's website and it will be branded with a logo in a few places. Some manufacturers put extra software in there but for the most part Dell & HP disks are just standard windows 7 but with their logos.

For reference those two pictures were taken on virtual machines. They are running on a Dell server but the OS has no idea what it's being installed on.

The only other thing about a branded vs. non-branded install media is that if your machine came with a Windows 7 COA (Certificate of Authenticity) then when you do the install there is a install key encrypted into the BIOS so it will automatically activate. If I were to re install W7 on my main Dell desktop it would just install and auto-activate, it would never ask me for a key because it knows that computer was purchased with a W7 license. On the virtual machines that I put W7 on (Dell disk or otherwise) it asks me to activate and I have to burn a $100 license key to activate it.
    I can throw a Dell W7 dvd into any non-Dell computer and it'll install fine - and put Dell logos here & there. For example, my netbook came with W7 home and I upgraded to W7 Professional. I had to pay for the key because Pro keys are not compatible with Home keys and I installed it on a Lenovo netbook and now it says Dell in a few places. Not a big deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#10     Jul 11, 2012