WIN2K SP4 Released

Discussion in 'Events' started by max401, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

i use "goback" by roxio.com to solve these kinds of issues.. eg new driver/sp/update installs .. if there's any problem, just have the program 'restore' your pc to the settings it was at a few hours ago..

#41     Jul 1, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

Answers both questions... Probably not, as part of the install is to ask you if you want to "Archive files". If you answer "yes", old files are saved so that you may uninstall the service pack. If you answer "no", no archived files are made and you would not be able to unistall the SP.

#42     Jul 1, 2003
  3. XP on your 500Mhz laptop? Stretching the envelope a bit, but you are the king of jive, er.... uh, I mean java.

#43     Jul 1, 2003
  4. funky

funky

actually its running very fast compared to win2000. maybe its because i did a clean install, but either way, its truckin :) i'm not the king of anything! and my music aint jive ;) www.mercyshot.com

#44     Jul 1, 2003
  5. Funster

Funster

I have just upgraded to sp4 on my pc and laptop. great speed in shutdown and laptop no problems but the main pc seems to have the problem that internet explorer misbehaves itself when norton internet security 2001 is operational.

Norton (Symantec) say there is a patch thru liveupdates that solves this. I have downloaded this patch but it makes no difference even after clean reinstalling norton. Anyone else got this problem? Or better, a solution?

Also a minor niggle but the first time after booting up you connect via my internal speedstream adsl modem it says that the hardware is not present. Then you hit connect again and it is OK thereafter. Anyone else experiencing this?

#45     Jul 2, 2003
  6. I didn't see that particular patch listed seperately, so its included and not able to be isolated and seperated.

#46     Jul 2, 2003
  7. I run with no virus software whatsoever. I run ZoneAlarm, Trend Micro's online virus checker once in a while. Never had a virus; never opened an .exe from an email either.

In any event, I just reinstalled WIN2K from scratch and then the SP4 which was all inclusive of the other SP's. Seems to run better than with the SP4 tacked on, but maybe due to the clean install. You should reload any MS OS once a year anyway.

#47     Jul 2, 2003
  8. kernan

kernan

Viruses can be transmited through means other than .exe files. I am amazed you have never had a problem, but I hope your luck continues!

#48     Jul 2, 2003
  9. Home single machine wont boot. Says some file is corrupted or absent. Office networked machine coughed up the whole network - had to have Linksys disconnected to get one rig going.

"Oh no. Did you download something recently?"
    - my IT guy

Geo.:eek:

#49     Jul 2, 2003
  10. True, but if you keep updating all the security fixes and use the firewall properly, it will stop 100% of the script-kiddies and make it awfully tough for the serious malicious hacker to break in.

#50     Jul 2, 2003