WIN2K SP4 Released

Discussion in 'Events' started by max401, Jun 27, 2003.

1. I doubt if even MS knows the answer. What difference would it make if one had this information?

#11     Jun 29, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

Difference? I was thinking of buying the SP4 update disk as I don't want to try downloading 130MB on a dialup connection.

#12     Jun 29, 2003
  3. Then any patches that come later would probably be small enough to download on the dialup.

#13     Jun 29, 2003
  4. gnome

gnome

I'd considered that too. No problem, unless there were a couple dozen of them.

#14     Jun 29, 2003
  5. white17

white17

Good idea GNOME. I've never been able to download anything from MS. Let us know how it goes off the disk, especially concerning the patch. With a disk in hand, could you delete the offensive patch prior to loading?

#15     Jun 29, 2003
  6. I've seen no documentation of an "offensive" patch that slows down WIN2K.

#16     Jun 29, 2003
  7. gnome

gnome

I don't know about deleting the patch either before or after installation.

I haven't decided yet about buying the disk. My system is running well with SP2 + all the patches, so I might wait 60 days or so. I'll be checking around to see if a wave of complaints emerges.

#17     Jun 29, 2003
  8. gnome

gnome

9. Anyone who needs SP4 on a disk IM me. I'll mail you a CD.

#19     Jun 29, 2003
  10. "Some people" equates to anonymous message board posters quoted as a supplement to the news article you linked. Hardly a good sample.

Same complainers occurred with SP3, "It crashed my machine, Microsoft SUCKS, man." But there are always systems that are ill configured in the first place. You got a system that is not regularly defragged, registry cleaned and generally configured properly, you can expect the glitches. However, the vast majority who implement the SP's will have zero trouble.

Now, where is a link to any SP slowing down WIN2K as you claim?

#20     Jun 29, 2003