Win2000; Move User Profile from C: to D:

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Lancer, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Lancer

Lancer

For any Windows experts here:

For a new standalone Win2000 Pro install (no server), this is the most frustrating and fruitless effort I've ever encountered dealing with Windows. I've spent hours and hours and hours at this and I just CANNOT get user profiles to move from C:\Documents and Settings\UserName to D:\USERS\UserName\Windows. I've read everything I could find; searched Microsoft sites and the web; called around. Followed posted instructions to the letter. Nothing. User profiles are reset, re-created, or duplicated every time back in C:\Documents and Settings.

Followed this to the letter, but no joy:
    How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile (Q214470)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q214470

I've tried every conceivable combination of possibilities, including the following:

1. Copy profile (copy to) from C: to D:, then edit ProfileList ProfileImagePath in the registry to D:\USERS\UserName\Windows.
    Results:
    A) If the C: profile is deleted, upon logging on with UserName, a new profile is created for that UserName in C:
    B) If the C: profile is not deleted, upon logging on with UserName, a new profile is created for that UserName in C: as UserName.PCName
    C) In both cases, Windows resets the edited registry ProfileImagePath entry back to default C:.

2. Same, but don't copy profile from C: to D:
    Results: Same.

3. Configure a roaming profile so that Windows creates the roaming profile for UserName in D:, then edit registry ProfileList to point to D:.

4. All other variants (reboot, don't reboot, menu dialog settings, order of actions, different combinations, etc.):

Regardless of any editing to ProfileImagePath in the registry, Windows always goes back to the profile in C:\Docuements and Settings, and if the C: profile was first deleted, then Windows creates it again there. Open the registry, and ProfileImagePath is reset from D:\USERS\UserName\Windows to %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\UserName.

I want user profiles in D:\USERS\UserName\Windows, with profiles for Administrator, Default User, and All Users remaining in default C:\Documents and Settings. (I've completely given up on even trying to move those three.)

I am at the absolute end of my patience with this. These are all newly created profiles I'm trying to move (fresh install), but I just cannot find a solution. I sure wish Microsoft had included some built-in feature for this; there are no options for profile folder placement during attended setup, and there are no menu options for profile folder movement after setup.

Does anyone know of a clear, tested step-by-step procedure that works?

2. Splat

Splat

Lancer - I've never needed to copy profiles but from what I
    understood you have to copy user profiles as follows:

1) On desktop right click on My Computer and then click Properties
    in the popup menu.

2) Click on User Profiles to setup and copy user profiles
    or Hardware to setup your hardware profiles

Regards,

Splat

3. Lancer,

I'm not certain but this would make sense. I believe that the user profiles must exist on the same drive as the registry. Otherwise this might present a security risk. IS D: on the same drive as C:?

Again, I'm not certain, but seems logical. Let us know if you figure it out or give up. Just curious, why can't you leave them on the C: drive? Running out of space?

Mike