Win2000... Automated Start and Stop??

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by gnome, Aug 30, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

For gathering data while on vacation (and not leaving my ISP connection on the entire time), anybody know of a utility which will
    a. Logon to ISP
    b. Start programs
    c. Shut down programs
    d. Logoff of ISP

and repeat these functions daily?

It looks like Windows Task Scheduler can handle the Start and Stop programs, but what about the Logon/Logoff?

TIA

2. I suggest you use Macro Express, which can do what you want, plus much more.

www.macros.com

I actually use it for automating my mechanical trading systems.

Bob

3. rtstrading

Thanks for the link. This thing is fabulous. Ive been looking for a way to restart TWS after it shuts down at night without having to be there. This thing works like a charm.

p.s. 30 day free trial to check it out.

4. gnome

gnome

I also found a free utility called "PowerOff" which appears to have some useful function (haven't tried to run it yet).

5. If you're on cable or dsl you could plug the AC power end of the modem into a simple timer to turn it on and off. Then use the aforementioned MacroExpress to do the download at that time everyday. This way the machine would be completely off line when not needed and you wouldn't have to program the log on.

6. I've used Macroexpress with a lot of success to log on to TWS etc. I did have problems with interference between Macroexpress and Metaserver (used to retrieve equity data) so in some cases I'll use a program called Windows Scheduler.