Win XP firewall or zonealarm?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Andre

Andre

Is Zone Alarm a virus scanner as well? I'm going to be networking my computers and getting better set up in that regard, but I aslo need some better tools. Any recommendations on Norton or Symantec? I use IB and QT. I've got a Win 98 machine and a laptop running XP.

#11     Feb 16, 2004
  2. ive set up windows 2000 servers using the ipsec feature as a firewall (both to internal and external connections). traffic between the servers was encrypted. i also hardened the servers OS. an independent white hackers group, over the course of a month, could not get anywhere. not only could they not hack it (internally or externally) but they where surprised that there was no firewall inplace.

i still prefer a dedicated firewall. use mandrakes multi network firewall at my house on a 300mhz celeron. no problems - its been up 166 days since last patch reboot.

[admin@fwcook admin]$ uptime
    12:18pm up 166 days, 21:44, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.38, 0.40

was using a linksys but could easily overload it pulling only 100+ symbols with esignal. changing the mtu setting helped but still would get disconnections. switched to the mandrakes product becuase of this and also it could handle multiple ips and a bunch of other stuff.

#12     Feb 16, 2004
  3. kowboy

kowboy

4. Mvic

Mvic

and http://www.my-etrust.com for anti virus software. It is put out by Cimputer Associates and you benefit from an industrial strength anti virus program for peanuts. Head and shoulders above the retail stuff. Updates automatically. I have been using it for 2 years plus (it was free at one time) and have never been infected.

#14     Feb 16, 2004
  5. msfe

msfe

www.grc.com

#15     Feb 17, 2004