win/loss over 70% - please help

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by zenith, Jun 2, 2006.

1. I have three systems which work with acceptable expectancy. They took me three years to develop and cost me about $9K in losses to perfect. Why the fuck do you think I would GIVE you these?

#31     Jun 4, 2006
  2. Because you're a good friend of Jack. :D

#32     Jun 4, 2006
  3. High percent of winners means nothing if your losses are greater than your gains. I once traded a scalping system that was right 80% of the time and I lost money. How? The losers were nearly 4 times greater than the winners. Add commissions, slippage, and associated fees and you're down for the month. :mad:

#33     Jun 14, 2006
  4. two words. risk management.

#34     Jun 18, 2006
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

???

#35     Jun 18, 2006
  6. dbeck29

dbeck29

after searching around this site for some time, i have come to the conclusion that 95% of the people here dont know what that means.

#36     Jun 18, 2006
  7. At least 95%...

#37     Jun 18, 2006
  8. High percent of winners means nothing if your losses are greater than your gains. I once traded a scalping system that was right 80% of the time and I lost money. How? The losers were nearly 4 times greater than the winners. Add commissions, slippage, and associated fees and you're down for the month.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

two words. risk management

OK! I'm not too proud to ask. How would risk management save this system? I had be one of those black box, magical mystery systems. Trade either set up or it didn't. Assumeing the set up occured I jumped in with a market order, which was what the system dictated, market orders. By the way this was for currency futures which I was trading about two years ago. The goal was 6 ticks. Real world, I got about 4.5 average. As I stated it was 80% accurate. The downside was the 20% losers averaged about 14-16 ticks depending on when the system gave an indication to get out. Trading 10 contracts the best I could do was a profit of $300 - $400.00 per month. System gave about 10 trades per week. I bought this from Howard Goldstein/Trading Dynamics. Web link is http://daytradesystems.com/main.html
    Any "constructive" suggestions would be helpful. I might be able to trade it again. I just didn't feel sitting in front of my screen from 7am to 1pm everyday and earning a whopping 100 bucks a week was a good use of my time. :confused:

#38     Jun 18, 2006
  9. Alright bro, how bout this? If you´re going to profit 6 ticks, dont lose more than two. If you´re going to lose 14-16 ticks dont win less than 45 ticks. Don´t wait for your system to tell you when to exit, you exit when your stoploss gets hit... no sooner no later.

By doing this you´ll probably get your prob down to 50%, or less... but guess what, if your prob is 30% and you hit a 3:1 profit/risk ratio... you´re winning...

A good risk management strategy should have entry parameters, bet size parameters, diversification, a good stop loss, and good exit parameters {for winning trades}

It doesnt matter which vehicule you´re using, options, futures, currencies, stock, etf... without sane risk management you´ll go broke sooner or later. No matter how good your strategy is.

#39     Jun 18, 2006
  10. It doesnt matter which vehicule you´re using, options, futures, currencies, stock, etf... without sane risk management you´ll go broke sooner or later. No matter how good your strategy is.

You are correct. That was the point I was trying to make in my intial post. Winning percetages mean little if your losses are bigger than your gains. I learned that the hard way with the system I purchased. Perhaps I did a poor job of communicating that. We seem to be on the same page.

#40     Jun 18, 2006