win/loss over 70% - please help

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by zenith, Jun 2, 2006.

1. GTG

GTG

This isn't necessarily a good idea, but one thing you can do to increase your percentage is to widen your stop-loss, or replace it with a time-stop instead of a price-stop.

Most countertrend systems with profit targets and time-stops can achieve a higher than 70% win rate (I.e. something along the lines of buy the lower bollinger band and sell with a 2% profit or after 4 bars etc...).

I'm not necessarily recommending you do these things...but these are things that can get a high winning percentage.

#11     Jun 2, 2006
  2. Search ET for "Jack"

#12     Jun 2, 2006
  3. Why woudl you want to do that? -> the key is making $$$ in the market is to let profits run and know when to cut losses. By setting profit targets (which, aside from S/R trading is really one of the only few ways to do it) you'll have a high win % but REALLY suffer in profitablility

#13     Jun 2, 2006
  4. zenith

zenith

Yes, I'm trading systems that are profitable about 45% of the time with ave. profits higher then losses.

#14     Jun 2, 2006
  5. zenith

zenith

I totally agree and I understand that trade-off is lower profits vs. loss but it's ok. I guess I should of mentioned it in the original post.

#15     Jun 2, 2006
  6. Look at buying into dips - countertrend.

#16     Jun 2, 2006
  7. when the correct answer post comes here i will point it out to you......not here yet.....

#17     Jun 3, 2006
  8. by the way, buying dips is not counter trend, but with the trend.......the dip is pullback during trend up and rally to sell is with trend down.......

#18     Jun 3, 2006
  9. Agreed. Best setups with lowest risk.

Cariocas

#19     Jun 3, 2006
  10. volente_00

volente_00

I average 80-85% counter trend trading. Seems to work well for me. I actually hate range days and shine on days like today with the quick moves. I never risk more than 2 points on any given trade.

#20     Jun 3, 2006