Win 7 64 bit first impressions

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by just21, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I'm aware that I can fiddle with the settings for both Java and process and thread stack sizes. I was just reporting the
    "out of the box" experience.

Ubuntu 8.04 is also 18 months old, so 9.1 could be a lot cleaner. But so far, I'm staying on Win7

#41     Nov 3, 2009
  2. I never used Vista before Win 7.

I officially declare UAC pussified and absurd for anyone using a computer for more than trivial tasks.

It needs a whitelist very badly.

UAC = disabled

#42     Nov 4, 2009
  3. I ran the 64 bit betas back when I was curious about W7.

There aren't any application issues in any common apps when running on the x64 OS. None.

What there are is driver issues because W7 x64 enforces more rigorous driver signing than 32 bit. So some situations where someone doesn't want to cough up the dollars for the driver approvals create an issue.

Personally I'm happy back on XP Pro 32 bit. My ramdisk (superspeed) can use the memory beyond 3G so thats not a big issue and XP is still faster than W7. Just not pretty.

The other thing about W7 is that it messes with all your files because of its "security." So if you're experimenting back everything up first so that you can go back to your happy insecure XP world without any "damage" from W7.

#43     Nov 4, 2009
  4. WIN7 64-bit better than Vista, better than XP. Faster, more secure, utilization of more memory. TWS, QT, NT all run okay. Agree with it messes with all your files because of its "security" is a problem.

#44     Nov 4, 2009
  5. what 'messes' are you talking about?

are you referring to UAC virtualization?

other than that , nothing is messed with imo

#45     Nov 5, 2009
  6. ninjatrader blew up on x64 primarily because of netframe architecture issues, which were microsoft and not registered on x64 platform, nor ofering an x64 executable,

however, in discussions with Ninja, they report (unconfirmed) that "others" report "no issues" with x64 platforms.

Tradestation locks up completely, if installs whatsoever on x64 also, however, again in discussions with their techs, same as Ninja's comments

go figure

#46     Nov 5, 2009
  7. Huh? Ninjatrader ran fine on the W7 64bit beta, it also ran just fine on the W7 64bit Release Candidate and now is fine on the "real thing". Only thing I needed to do was run Ninjatrader as admin...

#47     Nov 5, 2009
  8. maxpi

maxpi

Tradestation is not written well. The evidence for that is that it won't [wouldn't when I used it] run in a User account. It needs at least a Super User account or Administration account to run...

#48     Nov 5, 2009
  9. I've been running Windows 7 64-bit for about 6 days so far, dual boot with XP 32-bit. So far, I'm liking it. The new taskbar is nice. I turned down UAC 1 or 2 notches, its no problem. Itunes migrated no problem. mIRC went fine. Active Trader Pro they say not completely compatible till Dec 09, but it runs fine for me. Wealth Lab Pro runs fine also. ThinkOrSwim runs fine also. Its been quite smooth. I'm happy, think I'll completely switch over soon. I have to replace my dual TV tuner but thats not a big deal. The HP printer drivers are shabby, but they should come out very soon. The new process monitor is much better than the XP one. It runs fast, stable, and I'm loving the extra memory it can handle. File transfers are also much faster. I like it.

#49     Nov 6, 2009
  10. Check out all your apps for 64-bit compatibility. Winsxs works well, but there are apps like UPS Worldship (not a trading app, I know) that will simply refuse to install on a 64-bit system.

#50     Nov 8, 2009