Win 7 64 bit first impressions

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by just21, Oct 21, 2009.

1. just21

just21

It didn't crash today! The screensaver needs to be turned back on after a reboot. I have reported the javaw.exe issue to IB as this is recurring.

#21     Oct 22, 2009
  2. just21

just21

I solved the javaw.exe problem by installing the x64 win 7 version of java. Win 7 is very stable and works with tws and ninjatrader. go for it.

#22     Oct 27, 2009
  3. I've heard dozens of people offer this advice -- to wait a while on a new OS version -- as if it's an original or profound insight.

#23     Oct 27, 2009
  4. rwk

rwk

The more I read about Win7, the less impressed I am. Most of the reviewers either focus on the upgrade process -- does ANYBODY actually upgrade an old system, as opposed to buying a new system with the OS preinstalled? Or they talk about the nifty new features, like multitouch, that I just CANNOT live without. YUK! The only real benefit I can see to Win7 so far is that it is more secure, but I have never gotten a virus, so I'm not sure that benefit outweights the disadvantage of having to learn a new interface and all the quirks. My inclination is to replace my hardware and keep the OS (WinXP).

#24     Oct 27, 2009
  5. Win 7 is

- more secure (if u need it)
    - a better version of vista (u want frills?)
    - faster than xp sometimes
    - has a well supported x64 option (xp's isnt really)
    - is prettier.

So, yes, I'm running xp on all my machines except my daughters (because she likes bling).

#25     Oct 27, 2009

6. no way,

so they finally have the 32-bit emulator active?

I was hoping so, because so many apps will never be recompiled for 64bit, and even when they are, the fault always remains with the interaction between the application and the support sub-system applications (winfred, winlois, winharry, winsally and the others).

no really, the sub-system apps like NetBios, NetFramework, Net-subsystems support

so even when the app is capable of running on 64bit, although still in 32bit form, its the interaction with those subsystems in 64bit mode that fails...

#26     Oct 30, 2009
  7. won't make it to 2014,

they already ended support for it in 2009,,,,

just try reinstalling from your OEM XP disk, and need to call in to unlock and authorize...

India wont be the only place you'll be calling at all times of the night, day, weekend, morning, afternoon and being transferred to.

just to get the busy signal, and not sure how to repeat the call, but will surely waste over 2 hours of dialing, because MSFT wants to make it hard on successful products in lieu of selling even more stuff

hey, if they love Apple so much, why don't they just buy them and put them out of their misery.

MSFT got as much if not more cash than CSCO, WMT, GE, GOOG, BIDU and a select few other companies....from what I hear...

#28     Oct 30, 2009
  8. uh, coffee break time.

take a walk in the park and speak to a few ladies,

you'd be surpised what you'd accomplish, instead of making comments like this...

(not too becoming... of us geeks)

hey, haven't ya heard?, Geeks is Cool now

#29     Oct 30, 2009
  9. I've gotten every damn thing to work in 7, including an HP printer that didn't have 7 drivers, and an ancient TV Tuner card using Dscaler.

95% of problems can be traced to noobism or the lack of perseverance.

I only had 1 blue screen in a month and that was due to a loose SATA cable. Gotta watch those suckers.

#30     Nov 2, 2009