Wimax Orgy! Clwr, Alvr, Crnt...

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Can't deny this ClearWire now has a really impressive lift off the low chart. $13.75 or so all the way to todays near breakout at $18 area- now at three month highs. The rumor has been constant that Sprint-Nextell will resume their partnership with CLWR with the aid of financing . On one hand is Intel Corp. (INTC), which will supply processors for WiMAX-enabled laptops. On the other hand is Google Inc. (GOOG), which wants to promote any technology that will translate into cheaper access to the Internet from any location..... This leads me to CRNT which has a foot in this deal....Ceragon Networks Ltd. (CRNT), which was to be one of the wireless communications equipment vendors.

Alvarion is not a party in this project. But it's up 4% today, in general WIMAX looks to be back.

Ceragon Networks (Nasdaq: CRNT), which is involved in the wireless networking area as well. The difference is that Ceragon offers its services on a global level to large cellular companies. The gear that the company offers provides customers with a solution in a very specialized niche of the network setup called the backhaul portion of the network.

The backhaul is essentially the back portion of the network that typically connects cellular towers to the main switch to the wired phone system. With increasing data from 3G services placing a heavy burden on the existing infrastructure, many cellular operators are resorting to digging and running additional fiber to connect to the main switch. Ceragon’s technology bypasses this antiquated method and wirelessly transmits the backhaul data directly to the switch.

The technology has the potential to benefit both rural and high population networks, and could experience huge demand over the coming years. The fear, however, is that the company will be unsuccessful in defending its intellectual property and could have to compete with copycat technologies from the likes of NEC. Legal battles are likely to take time and capital but even still, profitability is expected to be sustainable.

>> Which one to buy? CLWR break away with room to run.... or the one NOT moving that could receive the biggest percent push from here?.... & Does ALVR continue to drift benefit from this WIMAX talk?
    ~stoney

2. ALVR is sensitive to the Israeli security situation. I happened to be looking for stocks tied to Israel in july of 2006 when violence broke out between Israel and Lebanon so I could play the political risk. If you look at a chart back to 2006, ALVR spiked higher in the first week of august when the violence ended. I haven't kept up with the Israel/Palestine situation so I can't say much about it as a whole other than political risk may be why ALVR isn't following other WIMAX stocks.

3. Clearwire is hurting.

4. Well folks win some lose some... CLWR has not preformed to well despite it being a very big gainer recently but our dear little Israel play CRNT has scooted from $6 to $9.50 level where it is being sold today. have not entered ALVR yet... there is recent WIFI news which would lead one to CLWR again but I'm nervous some of the feedback in this thread has been negative on the name. Anyway God Bless CRNT! ~ stoney