Willy Wonka & Mr. Hershey

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BA_Trader, Mar 19, 2004.

1. nasdorq

nasdorq

Jack, it bothers me when you say you are "tired of the crap you get here". It bugs me because some of us are truly interested by what you contribute here. It would be a real shame if a few outspoken disbelievers ruined it for the rest of us. The negative posts bug me because I always end up reading them, which is a complete waste of time. But constantly having to defend yourself also wastes your time and energy which could be used instead for discussing the markets. It amazes me how determined some people are to try and bring you down. I don't know why, maybe they have too much time on their hands, maybe they're lonely and need attention, maybe they're just types who thrive on confrontation, especially the cowardly "faceless confrontation". Regardless, I don't think you should bother replying to your persistant detractors. It's obvious they feed off of it, like the saying "misery loves company". Acknowledging them only validates their existence in their minds. Imagine how frustrated they would be if you simply ignored them. When someone gives me the finger in traffic, I enjoy watching them turn red with rage when I wink at them, or blow them a kiss. They're not even worth getting mad at.

Smart people will judge you by what you post, not what other people think of what you post. You need not defend yourself.

And to the tread starter, I don't think this thread should exist either. I realize you're also a fan of jacks and it was well intentioned, but it creates a debate about his credibility and let's people slam him further...a place where the posts that are usually meaningless could actually be considered ON topic. If you're a fan, then the opinions of people who aren't shouldn't matter.

And I'm not trying to pick at anybody in this message, even Jack's detractors. I'm just saying I wish people would comment on what interests them and not on what doesn't interest them.

#11     Mar 21, 2004
  2. Easy, people don't like people that seems odd to them. Of course mumbo jumbo of Jack helps as it is sometimes irritating. I don't know if it is on purpose or not but since sometimes people think that I do also mumbo jumbo whereas I am expressing in terms that are familiar in my fields of engineering I suppose that it can be the same for him.

It seems also that people think that they are due to be helped, I'm sorry this is not Woodie's forum "Traders helping traders" this is a forum where people come for what ever reason they want concious or unconscious.

#12     Mar 21, 2004
  3. Your advice is very important to me.

ET is as Harry mentions and different strokes for different folks prevail. My basic assumption about people is that they are proactive and creative.

I like the 13 virtues B Franklin espoused in his autobiography. That was long ago, though.

Here, the basic premise that I am committed to is the Life-cycle Hypothesis of Franco Modigliani recently of MIT and the 1895 Nobel prize winner. Globally about 70% of families suffer disruption; as a consequence they experience an averge of 40% decline in their family quality of life.

With respect to financial matters and performance in making money in the financial industry, there are, for people several irreversable processes that have to do strictly with their physiological processes. This forum is a place where I get to observe all of this. So there is a quid pro quo beyond imagination for me and it is preserved, so far, in a repository that can be examined any time I desire.

When psychological difficulties arise, the body takes steps to protect itself from the assault that is being self engendered. Unfortunately for the most part at some point it is not easily possible to recover from what has occurred.

You will find that this subject will be explored very broadly and deeply in the future. Not in ET as an activity but, in professional communities where such problems can be addressed. ET is a place to review the long trem transition of behavior in an informal manner. It cannot have any scientific value, only in situ scope and bounds. The focus turns out to be the immunity system.

Repeated stress of any sort affects the immunity system. That is well known. In the financial community money is a unique factor for causing stress. Everyone lucked out when a recently awarded Nobel Price focussed on psychology and economics. Stridently, it was determined that most people are screwed up psychologically when they under take making economic decisions. All expereinced traders have been through continuous observations of this by observing in others, the succession of failure that drives people out of the business.

Now it will become very evident what the various mechanisms are for how and why people shut down as a consequence of the initial psychological assault followed by the bodily (physiological processes) that come into play as the human being tries to protect itself from the self induced assault.

Everything I do is oriented to eliminating these problems. But concurrently, there are consequences that come into the picture. I am viewed as a person who does not care about the progress others make in their personal efforts. I do care and understand the consequences of anyone failing. Those who continue to proactively and creatively learn, acquire knowledge, reason and remember are going to succeed. Making money is not difficult in itself but the basic context of money is very influential. ET is stuck in the babes and cars world as we all see. But there is another side to that coin. It is the no babes and no car world that comes from the human being "losing it". I do not mean just losing capital; I mean losing the capability to deal with learning, acquiring knowledge, reasoning, and remembering in the arena of money.

ET has a bunch of forums. But there are few forums here on physiology (the human body stuff). Psychology here is a neat place for avoiding the subject so far. Ari Kiev applies bobsled psychology to already successful traders in the big leagues. What I am addressing here is the absolute damage that people do to themselves as they do (behave) very unhealthy things in ET and anywhere.

Money promulgates endless myths. These myths can form a habitat. Growing up in a family that operates in the psychological mode of the of the Nobel Prize results is a tough place to be.

When people get to the "fight" part of fight or flee, they are pretty far down some road they have chosen. At some point people chose to fight in places that it is not possible to fight fair.
    All the dramas people create in ET started somewhere. Some people fight no matter in what direction they are facing.

I respect the difficulties anyone is having. I ordinarily do not forward their fights. Sometimes, their fights can be learning examples for others. I do use the better ones often because I believe that maybe the fight can be changed to a new one.

I can't participate with nitro because he thinks I have 200 names and I talk to myself. He thinks I fake the prints of beginners who meet 600 dollars a day goal. Nitro is fighting. He has fighting rules that are not in a fair category.

Fair fighting is tough, penetrating and really very beneficial. It keeps the immune system in balance and in tip top shape.

Guys here who are guardians are not fair fighters either. They are bent on protecting from the strategic vantage point they have found for themselves. They are no longer learning, acquiring knowledge, reasoning, nor remembering. They stand for what they have. They do not want to give up anything they have. How does a protector/guardian feel when he is impacted by "crap"? He sees "crap" as measured by his stuff. Fight or flee.

It is possible to have more choices than fight or flee up to the time stress has not taken a great toll. After that it gets irrational.

I suggest to others who reguard my stuff to use a yellow and black high liner. Note what helps you and blacken all else.

ET is not going to change. It serves quite a variety of purposes. My posts out to be a place where quite a spectrum of people can do anything but put me conveniently on ignore. As I have said the quid pro quo is priceless. I am continually learning about how the process of repeated failure affects people as a sideline.

#13     Mar 21, 2004
  4. nitro

nitro

I almost went unconcious trying to read this thread with the endless robotic responses devoid of meaning.

I have an idea for the grobbites. I have the resources to set up a forum on a server just like this one where you guys can go off and do some more mental masterbation. All in the confort of your own, private FORUM!!! :eek:

Would that help? Then, I would not have to "fight" with you and vice versa. You and all the chicklets could all go and enjoy yourselves teaching each other the grobbite way? Then you can all praizzzze da lord grob all you want! And I am sure by not disclosing the Guru Grob method, think how much more money you can extract from us poor ET suckers?

I will even get an extra large Hard Disk, seeing that Grob takes 70 pages to explain a stochastic, and my gawd, look at the posts just in this thread!? I better double the hard disk capacity I think I will need :eek:

How does that sound? I mean, why would you want to stay where you are not wanted by "four out of five people"? (I would say it is closer to 999 out of 1000.)

Are you a martyr? Maybe you are on a crusade?

I see a pattern in the disciples of the Lord Guru. I just saw it in the"woodie" thread. The parallels are amazing to the followers of this Grob guy. I am beginning to think these are the same people, or maybe I am confusing one Cult for another. Been there, done that...

I have a theory that you are all from Australia....

Godday 'Mate..

nitro

#14     Mar 21, 2004
  5. nitro

nitro

FWIW,

I have enjoyed almost all of your "recent" (last year or so) posts. I suspect that I had trouble with your posts in the past because it seems that back then, your English was not advanced enough.

I do not know how much of what you post is applicable to real world trading, but I enjoy the valiant, clean effort you present, to say nothing of the fact that I have thought along the same lines and find it fascinating.

nitro

#15     Mar 21, 2004
  6. Exactly. This is why I wrote the inital post. It is my nature to think quite the opposite...
    I usually believe that I am not due help and I must be self reliant. Jack's posts
    (for whatever reason) suspended that belief and I found myself in an unusual place
    psychologically -- unusual enough that I wrote that long initial post.

Bear in mind that I did come looking for help -- and when you are looking
    for help you tend to find it one way or another.

My hunch is that this happens to *many* people and this is probably why
    Jack is such a polarizer. From a strictly social standpoint it really is
    fascinating.

Good point harrytrader.

JT

#16     Mar 21, 2004
  7. I think Jack is here with the intent of helping as much as he can. He certainly has spent a lot of time attempting to convey his ideas on ET. He cherry picks the posts he wants to comment on, rather than starting his own threads and talking about his methods. Instead of presenting an all-inclusive method he takes others' methods/indicators and then talks about them in very technical terms and then attempts to discuss general concepts that will make those methods more profitable. But he uses so many abbreviations, acronyms, mental pictures that are unfamiliar to most, and uncommon terms that it makes understanding his posts a chore.

And I think he deliberately does this to obfuscate the meaning for 4 of 5 readers who he seems intent upon confusing. I also think he does this to avoid providing a comprehensive trading system or method that has fully objective and fully defined rules. Because I don't think Jack views the market in terms of rules, and maybe under all those layers of obfuscation, his point is that rule based trading is flawed/inefficient/suboptimal. He also spends too much time defending/justifying himself against posts like this one, rather than clarifying and objectifying.

I don't think Jack really uses Stochastic, MACD or most of the other indicators, tools or setups he has spent so much time talking about here. I think he is in a place he calls Seamless Continuous Trading, using price and volume, but he tries to relate to everyone else by synthesizing the subject of their post and then talking about it in general terms of how to possibly maximize the potential of that method, without getting too objective about it. And when he is pressed, he creates rules that are supposed to help improve the profitability for those using those methods, but which fail to backtest or forward test profitably.

I think one of the reasons why so many have serious doubts about Jack's methods is that earlier on Jack claimed he was going to create mechanical systems from his rules that would reach the profitability efficiency he talks about in his posts, and share those systems with whoever wished to trade them. A single fully disclosed objective system presented in the same way that my Swing Trading journal was presented, and with similar/better forward testing results would go a long way towards quieting the critics.

But of course the proof is the performance. At this point I have yet to see a profitably backtested system based on any of Jack's rules / methods / setups. So thus far it has been interesting reading and more recently skimming, and the threads are titillating because of the back and forth thrust and parry of attacks and justification rather than ideas. But I can't say I've gleaned a single idea that has improved my bottom line trading results from any of the methods presented thus far. I remain open minded but to date Jack's methods have at best been a disappointment for me. (For all I know, Jack's stock trading methods may well be much more promising than his index futures trading techniques have been.) Of course Jack owes me nothing, but then again I don't owe him anything either.

#17     Mar 21, 2004
  8. When I read Jack's posts in this thread... I think I absorbed about
    40% of it immediately on the first pass. But I will probably end up
    printing them out and going through them carefully with a
    yellow marker later on -- until I get to 100%. (reread my original
    post -- his posts require work (thinking) and an open mind)

I will continue to do this with past and present posts until I find
    something that makes me think he is full of crap. This has not happened
    yet and I have read a *lot* of his posts carefully with a yellow marker.

In fact the opposite has happened -- the more I read the more I
    think he is credible and legit.

So I can see your point - to some extent... however it's not
    that easy to do with the childish negative junk around it.

JT

#18     Mar 22, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

nitro

#19     Mar 22, 2004