William O'neil ''canslim'' method

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by TKOtrader, Feb 2, 2003.

1. See ***'s for my inserted answers.

#41     Mar 1, 2003

2. ok loser, since you cant answer a damn question im done with you !!

jack : i use canslim

qt : does canslim still work ?

jack : no

qt : so it doesnt work ?

jack : i use it once a week

WHAT A RETARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS ITS MARDI GRAS HERE !!! SO ITS TIME TO LEAVE ,

JACK, I'LL TELL YA MOM YOU SAID HI !!

#42     Mar 1, 2003
  3. kowboy

kowboy

Would you please put your answers in the form that a retard can understand them, then perhaps I will understand what you said, rather than having to guess.

Thanks in advance.

Kowboy

#43     Mar 1, 2003
  4. I've always been attracted to Canslim (which shows how pathetic my life is). But here's my question to all the Canslim experts: what is so marvelous about a strategy that only works in bull markets? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but it's that very issue that made me give up on it after reading the book.
    Like most everybody else on ET, I've built a variety of systems. One thing I always do is test these systems in bull, bear and channeling market periods. Here's what I always find: everyone of these systems does INCREDIBLY well in a bull market. They all succeed with huge win percentages and average profits per trade.
    I mean isn't that like falling off a log for the most of the people here at ET? When breakouts work 75% of the time and there's plenty of volume with volatility and ma's/rsi's/stochastic's/S&R all work gloriously almost all of the time - is there anybody on ET that won't be making money hand over fist?
    Let me know what I'm missing here. Again, I'm not trying to be combative, but I just don't get it. I've never traded in a bull market, so I'm probably oversimplifying.

#44     Mar 2, 2003
  5. I parsed this where you asked questions. look for ****'s

**** you have a very shallow viewpoint which you have gained through personal experience. Which chapter of HTMMIS do you remember most? Which chapter did you learn the most from?

Lets begin with these two questions so you can find out where you are.

#45     Mar 2, 2003
  6. I know you have a lot of experience, so I'd enjoy hearing what you have to say. Let me say what I really liked about the book:

1. Underneath I believe in "technimentals", i.e. fundamentals are as important as technicals.
    2. I like the idea of buying the best of the best breaking out of an accumulation period.
    3. I liked his research showing the explosive nature of the very best stocks which nullifies overbought/oversold.

But here are my questions:
    1. In this really a trending market? That is for any given number of days, do we really have any reason to believe will continue increasing instead of reversing?
    2. Can we count on even the best of the best to follow through on a breakout?
    3. Is there any way to make money (using true CANSLIM) during a choppy or downtrending market?

#46     Mar 3, 2003
  7. I never really answered your question though: I actually enjoyed every chapter in the book. But underneath I can't stand the idea of sitting out for four or five years of a secular bear.

#47     Mar 3, 2003
  8. Thanks for your reply. I try to orient to the person with whom I am communicating. There are some limits like those presented to me in this thread by a couple of people, however.

I can see that you have read and studied the book but it isn't something you have been able to assimilate into your regular appreciation of capital.

For background, in my travels I have participated with CANSLIM and some of it's followers. Amoung others a protege of WJO.

So I have been involved with their institutional service, the beta testing of dailygraphs, etc. I was also asked to produce some math to replace the weekly sort for cup and handle and on another occassion to deal with an arbitrage function for the institutional service. Enough said.

The chapters of the book orient you in a methodical way to what is what. At the end WJO takes the trouble to give you a list of things to eliminate from your investment orientation. This is such a great contribution.

#48     Mar 3, 2003

9. JACK , DAMMIT MAN , WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ? I MEAN , YOU CANT ANSWER A DAMN QUESTION CAN YOU ?? ''SHOEBOY'' JUST ASKED YOU 3 STRAIGHT , CLEAR CUT QUESTIONS AND YOU DIDNT ANSWER ONE OF THEM WITH A STRAIGHT ANSWER. YOU CONTINUE TO BEAT AROUND THE BUSH. (IF THAT) SO FROM THESE POSTS OF YOURS I'M SURE THAT EVERYONE REALIZES THAT CANSLIM DOESNT WORK IN TODAYS MARKET !
    I'LL GIVE YOU THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT AND TAKE IT THAT SINCE YOU WERE INVOLVED WITH CANSLIM'S SERVICE YOU DONT THINK IT WOULD BE RIGHT TO JUST SAY '' NO, IT DOESNT WORK !'' ,, BUT I GUESS I KNOW WHAT YOURE TRYING TO SAY

#49     Mar 3, 2003
  10. *****Yes, we will cover as much as you wish.

The way I work is diadactically. It is best to go to where a person is and then suggest how to follow a path to the best place possible. It is insane, I think, to expect aperson with a belief system and the according behavior to jump to a new place without a path to follow.

My long posts certainly eliminate several types of people from participating. And that is kewl too. They aren't up to thinking as yet and they need to simmer a while longer.

#50     Mar 3, 2003