Will zero commissions lead to sharper sell-offs?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lindq, Feb 25, 2020.

1. lindq

lindq

That's my "unintended consequences" prediction for the day.

VPhantom likes this.
  2. ET180

ET180

I doubt it. Think about who zero-commission really benefits...people making small trades...small accounts...small money. But maybe it adds up...not sure.

d08 likes this.
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

That's pretty insightful actually. If the cost of exiting a position is no longer there, then surely that will increase the number of people who will be willing to bail from the threat of a sinking ship.

VPhantom, ajacobson and FriskyCat like this.
  4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

My auto mechanic has 25 shares of AMZN.
    *IF* he uses a zero-commish broker AND *IF* he sold today,
    that would be .00000625 percent of the 4 million plus shares traded so far today.

IOW, zero commish brokers have no affect.

d08 and zdreg like this.
  5. S2007S

S2007S

Disagree. Makes zero difference if a commission is paid or not.

Commissioners are not hundreds or thousands of dollars like they once were. We have had low commission trades now for 20 years. Now free. Makes no difference on the cost of a trade whether or not it would lead to a sharper selloff.

6. It is said or rumored that the retail trader will ride a sell-off to the bottom - so zero commissions probably won't change that.

7. zdreg

zdreg

It more likely means that the public will no longer sell at the bottom when in past history they have given up all hope. In fact since they are out of the market they will not be like the odd -lotters of the old days. They will recognize a bargain and buy. This time pension funds who cannot meet their actuarial assumptions are bailing.

8. FriskyCat

FriskyCat

OP's comment was more insightful. Coupled with zero commissions are the fractional share offerings (tons of odd lot activity), the massive push for the young to jump in and overall illiquid price structure.

9. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

That's not something I would predict. Retail investors only account for ~10% of trading volume, and I don't see institutional investors changing the way they trade due to zero commissions. A financial transaction tax could change things significantly though.

Lou Friedman likes this.
  10. zdreg

zdreg

"could"
    That gets my vote for the understatement of the year.

Here is my previous post:
    e.g. 100k stock account ftt of 1/10 of 1 percent or.001. 4to1 intraday margin 4 to1
    turnover 400k/day
    tax cost $400/day annual cost 100k

At year end breakeven trader has lost all his capital.
    https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...disappearing-day-traders.340600/#post-5016730

#10     Feb 25, 2020