Will World Nuclear Plants be stopped by 3/11 Japan Tragedy?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by bearice, Mar 17, 2011.

Will World nuclear plants be stopped by 3/11 Japan tragedy?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    92.6%
  1. When I inhale Wood smoke I feel strong and energetic. Wood smoke is white, clean and smells good. I agree different human bodies respond/react differently to wood smoke. But if I inhale plastic or rubber smoke I will end up in hospital.

#21     Mar 20, 2011
  2. Yes, it is, it is loaded with carcinogens, especially Class A carcinogens such as aromatic hydrocarbons. And of course dioxin. The EPA estimate is that wood smoke is an order of magnitude more carcinogenic than the equivalent volume of tobacco smoke.

Yes, it does, as shown by the extensive pre-petro historical record. In fact it is worse on a per-BTU basis because wood is relatively low in energy density, meaning there is more non-combustible waste to put into the atmosphere.

Large quantities of wood ash also measurably increase local background radiation levels.

What saved wood from a bad public reputation is that we quickly outgrew local wood sources and moved to pea-soup inducing coal.

#22     Mar 20, 2011
  3. Arsenic will kill you faster than sugar.

They are both, however, still poisons.

#23     Mar 20, 2011
  4. d08

d08

Please make a fire and start inhaling, keep doing that for some 10 hours. You do know that the burnt parts of barbecue meat are carcinogenic right?

#24     Mar 20, 2011
  5. I think now world forests are 50% less than they were some 20,000 years ago when there were no human beings.

50% more forest means 50% more woods which means massive forest fires/wildfires 20,000 years ago. Forest fires have been raging/burning for past millions of years.

There was no global warming or environment damage from wood smoke 20,000 years back.

Why would wood smoke damage environment today and why there is global warming today?

#25     Mar 20, 2011
  6. What does this have to do with your claim that breathing smoke from a wood fire isn't dangerous and is non-polluting?

The first urban smog was created by wood fires. That was when population was a small percentage of what it is now. Try the same thing today, and you would have 3 feet of visibility at high noon.

#26     Mar 20, 2011
  7. If a wood burns 100% there is no smoke or very less smoke. When a wood burns at high temperature near 0% smoke is released. When a wood burns slowly or at low temperature lots of smoke is released (basically the whole wood turns to smoke and then coal or ash.

Bearice is Fire expert. Nobody in this world has more knowledge about Fire then Bearice. I grew up with Fire.

#27     Mar 21, 2011
  8. I was traveling by plane and the instrument in the front seat displayed outside temperature as -25 C. This means heat cannot travel more than 1000 or 2000 feet high.

Global warming is limited/trapped/exists in big cities only. Camp 15 miles outside a big city and you will shiver in the middle of the night. But sleep in open space/ground. Do not sleep inside a tent/camp. There is no global warming in Antarctica, Siberia, Alaska and other ice-deposit regions of the Earth. Abandon/leave big cities.

If there were no Global Warming - we would still be in an Ice Age. Humans didn't cause any of the previous thaws - guaranteed.

I agree, global warming is a natural occurrence. As the living creatures on Earth increases/explodes, more water is released from ice-deposit regions due to warm Earth.

There must be Volcanic activity under the Glaciers and Ice-deposit regions of the world because of which world ice is melting.

If world people do not burn fuel, wood and other substance the Earth will return back to Ice-age. Everyday millions of barrel of oil/petrol is burned, millions of Tons of coal is burned, millions of Tons of wood is burned, and millions of Tons of cooking and industrial gas is burned. Think, if millions of Tons of these "fire products/substance" in not burned what would be the temperature of Earth.

Heat from big cities cannot travel more than 20 miles. Forget big cities heat reaching Antarctica, Siberia, Alaska and other ice-deposit regions of the world.

Global warming is a myth. Anyone remember the global cooling fad in the 70's? It's all about money. Politicians have found a scare tactic to inflate their own pockets.

Scientists were recently caught manipulating data since the 90's to create the illusion of global warming. I think George Carlin had it right.

Everybody, set fire to all the waste plastic, waste rubber, waste paper which are lying around for many years and nobody is recycling them. Basically burn all the trash/garbage in the world and create some open and clean space. There is no such thing as global warming

#28     Mar 21, 2011
  9. Global warming is real, or my home would still be under a kilometre of ice.

Human-caused global warming is what is still up for discussion.

#29     Mar 21, 2011
  10. Wow well that explains a lot. The question is whether you sprinkle some "rock" on the wood before you inhale the smoke.

#30     Mar 21, 2011